CoinPeople.com

draped bust set

Vfox

Mkay, so here's the deal, I but together a set of copper/silver draped bust coins, they all vary in grades and 2 are slabbed, (another was but I broke it out) and the others are loose. The pictures are mainly crap, which is my digital camera fault lol. But anyway, lets see how they grade by you guys.

coins_001.jpg

coins_002.jpg

I'll give the cent and half-cent a shot tomorrow. Too much eye strain right now. :ninja:

I warn you, Bust types are not a good area for me.

Dollar - F15

Half Dollar - VG8

Quarter- *shrugs* F12. Looks a bit better than the dime.

Dime- G6/VG8

Half Dime-G4

Cent- VF35

Half Cent- Hard to see, details look decent, F12

I'm tempted to go XF40 on the Cent. It looks very good. It's always hard to grade from a picture. It's a really nice cent.

XF on the half cent. Strong facial features.It's hard to see scratches and such with the lighting, angle, and diffusion of the picture.

If you're curious what I grade them check my omnicoin. Burks you're pretty close on everything except the half-cent and the half-dime, those are both slabbed. Check my omnicoin stuff :lol:

Everyone else, look at it only after you took a guess, it's only fair! :ninja:

Ok, I looked at your omnicoin site for the "answer" and I think you might be selling that bust half short.  Here is a link to my 1807 that gades VF-25: 1807 Draped Bust  Of course it might be the photos you used too.

Your half is in better shape than mine, the one I have lacks most major hair detail, so I don't think it should really go anywhere above vg-8. I also take into account it's stike. I think mine had a good strike, and the lack of detail came from wear. If you look at my draped half-dime you can see what I mean, the half-dime has a weakly struck obverse, and little wear on it. Considering what you have in your collection, I'm sure you could figure that out though. Early coinage always seems to be a challenge to grade, especially weakly struck examples. What I have on my omnicoin seems to cover the norms, but I leave it to major companies (PCGS/Anacs for me) to grade the weakly struck ones.

Strike has a lot to do with it. It's funny, the photos you posted here make the coin look a lot more detailed than the photos on omnicoin. Perhaps I was making too much of a mental adjustment to account for the photos!

Strike has a lot to do with it.  It's funny, the photos you posted here make the coin look a lot more detailed than the photos on omnicoin.  Perhaps I was making too much of a mental adjustment to account for the photos!

Good possibility. The photos are sharper than the scans are, I use my junky scanner for omnicoins. I am getting a USB microscope though, that way I can take extremely detailed shots of a coin and replace my old omnicoin ones. I would say to be fair, split the difference of the two photos and you have a good estimate right now.

Archived