CoinPeople.com

1730 Rouble, fake?

IlyaE

It's a 1730 ruble, not 1930.

While I was assuming that it was jewellery damaged, which I assumed what you paid for as a damaged coin, I am not too sure what made me say it is a counterfeit coin, except the obverse, i.e. Anna's portrait has unusual non-worned out parts, which also led me to doubt the authenticity.

I don't like the look of the portrait or the legend surrounding it.

The shield on the eagle's breast looks really fake to me.

I paid for it as for the original with traces of re-engraving and the seller is saying he bought it from the reputable store 5 years ago. I'm not sure why would anyone trouble to make a fake in such condition and edge looks original. There are 2 details, which look very suspicios: there is no chain between eagle's 2 necks and all pictures of 1730 roubles I saw have it; there also some kind of hair-like on Anna's portait chest and I don't see such element on any pictures.

I paid for it as for the original with traces of re-engraving and the seller is saying he bought it from the reputable store 5 years ago. I'm not sure why would anyone trouble to make a fake in such condition and edge looks original. There are 2 details, which look very suspicios: there is no chain between eagle's 2 necks and all pictures of 1730 roubles I saw have it; there also some kind of hair-like on Anna's portait chest and I don't see such element on any pictures.

Oh, okay, that's why it looks so weird - somebody used a hand engraving tool on it to try to "restore" lost details on a worn or weakly struck coin. That's why the coin overall and especially the shield on the eagle's breast looks so cartoonish. What a shame to do that to a coin.

I agree with gx - return it for a refund if you can and wait for one that hasn't been "improved" like this.

Archived