CoinPeople.com

CSNS Day 1--A Barber Hater Recants

ikaros

Okay, not a hater as such, but the Barber series has always been pretty much my last priority among coins to collect. I don't get Barbers. They all look alike, they're the coins Teddy Roosevelt rebelled against (giving us some of our greatest coins in the process), you look at one cross-eyed and all the detail rubs off.

When you see your first PR67DCAM Barber half, you become a convert in a hurry. Wow. My knees about went out from under me. It was a genuine work of art.

The other viewing highlight was an MS65 MCMVII HR wire rim drop-dead-gorgeous St Gaudens double eagle. Ooooh, my wobbly knees again...

The personal highlight for me was holding a George III PR67 CAM farthing whose provenance went back to James Watt Jr. I swear, it looked like it was minted yesterday. Deep mirrors, full frost, just astounding.

Anyway, I went in with $20 in my pocket. You'd be surprised what that can buy, and still walk away with change (specifically, $1.50). Here's the swag tally:

Freebies:

2006 CSNS squashed penny commemorative

2006 CSNS token, minted on-site by Gallery Mint

2006 hand-hammered token also minted on-site by Gallery Mint (obv Alexander the Great or someone who looks a lot like him, rev Pegasus)

For the Poland collection:

1923 10 groszy

1923 20 groszy

1949 1 grosz

1959 Tadeusz Kosciuszko 10 złotych

1964 Kazimier Zwielki 10 złotych

1967 Marie Skłodowska-Curie 10 złotych

1968 Mikolai Kopernik 10 złotych

For the 1963 world set:

Belgium 20 Centimes

Hungary 2 Filler

Ireland 1 Penny

New Zealand 1 Penny

For the UK collection:

1970 Proof sixpence

For the "Ooo, cool!" collection:

1921 French Protectorate (Morocco) 1 Franc

Scans to be posted to my acquisitions thread when I get around to it. There's a 1623 Sigismund III that I'll probably pick up tomorrow--for $23, it scratches a lot of itches. Also some Polish folding money. Thinking about picking up the 500 Milliard (US billion) Mark note, for the shock value. :ninja:

Wow. Sounds like a good show. I'll be going Saturday so there will be a similar post about it from me later that night.

Looks like you picked up some great stuff.

Did you notice any table that had a lot of German/Austrian coinage? With as much stuff as you got for $20, I should be able to do really well with 3x that (thank God for tax refunds).

Forgot to ask this. Did you happen to notice how long of a line there was for the ICG workshop? I really, really, really want to check that out.

Wow. Sounds like a good show. I'll be going Saturday so there will be a similar post about it from me later that night.

If you see a pony-tailed, bespectacled guy with a scraggly beard wearing a badge that reads 'Daniel', that'll be me. :ninja:

Looks like you picked up some great stuff.

Did you notice any table that had a lot of German/Austrian coinage? With as much stuff as you got for $20, I should be able to do really well with 3x that (thank God for tax refunds).

I can't say I noticed as such, since I was looking mainly for Brits, Polish and 1963 (as usual), but I'll try to keep half an eye out tomorrow. There's a lot of foreign stuff, from loose bins to slabbed beauties. I saw some German and Austrian, but I couldn't say for sure what they had--and I was mainly going through loose bins and boxes and not really bothering with the showcases. Any particular eras?

Forgot to ask this. Did you happen to notice how long of a line there was for the ICG workshop? I really, really, really want to check that out.

That, I really didn't notice. Again, I'll try to look tomorrow, but it's hard to say that a Friday line will be comparable to a Saturday line.

Archived