CoinPeople.com

Dcam versus cam

Mark Stilson

I could be wrong here but I think Deep Cameo is when the background is darker also refered to as Heavy Cameo giving the coin a deeper darker apperance. It has probably got something to do with when the coin is struck using the polished die's, but I could have it all wrong so well see what others think. :ninja:

It has to do with how "frosty" the devices are, and how "deep" the mirrors are.

In order to be "deep" or "ultra" cameo, the devices must contain no areas of reflection, or in other words, the frosting must completely cover the devices. On larger coins, a few hairline areas of no frosting is acceptable (see many of the DCAM Ikes graded by PCGS), but the device must be completely frosted. Any breaks or areas of no frosting on the devices will/should automatically place it into a cameo designation. Even if the mirrors were the most reflective you have ever seen, and the frosting on your eagle was the whitest as white can get, it would still only be CAM because of the breaks in the frosting on the devices. I have personally seen some DCAM designations where the mirrors were rather dull in comparison to some CAMs. If you are looking to make money off a purchase, then put it into stocks instead. Otherwise, just buy and KEEP what appeals to you :ninja:

If it's "good enough" for you, then that is all that matters. :lol:

More then anything, just trying to learn, remember the last time I was really in to collecting, we just had mint state, and proof. Not all these other grades.

Don't confuse designations with grades - one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. CAM & DCAM are just adjectival designations as are FS, FH, FBL, FB, DMPL etc. etc. They do not impact or change the grade of a coin in any way, shape or form. That's why you can have a PF63 DCAM as well as a PF69 DCAM.

Don't confuse designations with grades - one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. CAM & DCAM are just adjectival designations as are FS, FH, FBL, FB, DMPL etc. etc. They do not impact or change the grade of a coin in any way, shape or form. That's why you can have a PF63 DCAM as well as a PF69 DCAM.

You don't know how much "culture" shock it was to see the "added" grades. I have pretty much got them down, at least in principle. Next book up is the one on grading coins. (And top 100 vam book) Some of the morgans I have bought as ms, now make ms61,62,63,64, 65 etc. . My humble opinion, its mainly used so dealers can squeeze an extra dollar out of them.

Archived