CoinPeople.com

DE €10 "Dresden"

tabbs

This summer Germany will issue a €10 collector coin that commemorates "800 Years Dresden". The jubilee refers to the first documentary evidence of the place (Drezdany) in 1206.

dresden2006_160_vs.jpgdresden2006_160_rs.jpg

The winning design shows a double view of the historic city center: First, a realistic (but somewhat condensed) row of characteristic buildings along the Elbe river. The way they are reflected, however, reminds of the destruction of the city in WW2. So the coin covers both the "fall" and the "rise" of the city.

The edge inscription is not some motto this time but several important years: 1206 (see above), 1485 (Dresden became a ducal residence), 1547 (the city became the capital of Saxony), 1697 (the Saxonian prince electorate becomes king of Poland too), 1832 (first city council election), 1945 (bombing and destruction), 1989 (the peaceful revolution) and 2006.

The standard version of the coin will be available at face value as usual. It will probably be issued in August.

Christian

I like the cityscape on this coin. Nice design. When Germany issues these 5 and 10 € commemoratives, do they issue them from each of the mints or only one?

Basically each silver coin is issued by one mint only. The federal government usually has the silver collector coins made according to a rotation principle - if there are, say, five issues per year, each production facility will make one.

But there were and are numerous exceptions. The World Cup €10 coins, for example, were made at all five mint locations. And between 1997 and 2001 the regular version of a collector coin was made by just one while the prooflike version was made by all five ...

(Germany does not issue €5 pieces by the way. We're still hoping that this denomination will one day be used for circulation coins. :ninja: )

Christian

• 4 months later...

Tiff, Erik, Henry and (permission pending) Dave. :lol: Will go to the bank on Monday. In Dresden the demand is high from what I heard - surprise - but I don't think they will be sold out here in Düsseldorf very fast.

If any of you are also interested in the Hanseatic League commem that will be issued on 7 September, say me-me-me or whatever you consider appropriate :ninja: in that topic http://www.coinpeople.com/650-Years-Hansea...ague-t5478.html , not here. Those who want both would then get the two next month. With only two weeks between the two issue dates (sigh), mailing them separately does not make much sense ...

Christian

OK, now I have the "Dresden" coins here. And the following CoinPeeps (usernames again) signed up ...

henare

Sir Sisu

Tiffibunny

Trantor_3

Since you four also want the Hanse coin (to be issued in Sep.), your Dresden coins will just sit here for two more weeks. :ninja: Then, once I have the Hanse coins, I'll mail "Dresden" and "Hanse" together.

Christian

awesome! I will go pick one up! I won't , make you do it :ninja:

I hear good things about Dresden. I must make it over some time soon. Thanks for giving me the craniums up.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, NATO- Not after ten o'clock

Good. :ninja: These days I don't have much time to go to the Bundesbank; the next opportunity would have been early Sep ...

Since you are in DE (or have a German address), you might as well order such coins from a mail/online dealer such as MDM. http://www.mdm.de Have not bought there for years (flashy advertising, and much of what they sell is too expensive, IMO) but MDM usually offers newly issued €10 coins at a great price - €10, domestic shipping included. Previous issues are not that cheap of course.

Dresden is a very interesting city indeed. Most of the historic buildings, original or rebuilt, are in the Altstadt, with its sometimes strange architectural mix. But the Neustadt on the right bank of the Elbe, and the surroundings, are worth a visit too.

Christian

Archived