CoinPeople.com

Mortyr2012´s collection!!!

Mortyr2012

:ninja: Now for the fun part about morgans start looking  for die variations.  :lol:  Some of the ones you have had quite a few. The 1889 looks like it may be a high 9 date or slanted date.

And the best thing is :

I paid 100 Euro for these 12 Morgans. 8,33 Euro per coin. That's around silver melt price. :cry:

Marvin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I see that you, too, have been bitten by the Morgan dollar bug! :ninja: Welcome to the club!

As to the die crack, that is indeed the proper terminology in English. One of the characteristics of a die crack is that it leaves a raised mark on the coin. The die is a mirror image of the coin's face, and the raised areas of the coin are made by recessed areas of the die. Therefore, if the die has developed a crack, it leaves a raised mark on the coin.

Since your image seems to have been made with direct lighting, it is difficult to tell whether the mark next to the "U" is raised or lowered. But since it continues to the edge of the coin, it might very well be a die crack.

Here is an example of a coin I have (an old Russian rouble) with LOTS of die cracks:

L I N K

I see that you, too, have been bitten by the Morgan dollar bug! :lol: Welcome to the club!

As to the die crack, that is indeed the proper terminology in English. One of the characteristics of a die crack is that it leaves a raised mark on the coin. The die is a mirror image of the coin's face, and the raised areas of the coin are made by recessed areas of the die. Therefore, if the die has developed a crack, it leaves a raised mark on the coin.

Since your image seems to have been made with direct lighting, it is difficult to tell whether the mark next to the "U" is raised or lowered. But since it continues to the edge of the coin, it might very well be a die crack.

Here is an example of a coin I have (an old Russian rouble) with LOTS of die cracks:

L I N K

A friend wanted to go to an auction and asked me whether he should look for some coins for me. So I told him he should bid on the 1921-S Morgan Dollar. The price was 15 Euro, but nobody wanted the coin, so he screamed into the hall : "10 euros and I will buy it". And he bought it for 10 euros + some fees or something like that. Next week on the local coin show he will give me the coin, and I believe 12 euros for this coin are really cheap, aren't it? :ninja:

@bobh PS: Du kannst deutsch wenn du in der Schweiz wohnst oder?

A friend wanted to go to an auction and asked me whether he should look for some coins for me. So I told him he should bid on the 1921-S Morgan Dollar. The price was 15 Euro, but nobody wanted the coin, so he screamed into the hall : "10 euros and I will buy it". And he bought it for 10 euros + some fees or something like that. Next week on the local coin show he will give me the coin, and I believe 12 euros for this coin are really cheap, aren't it?  :ninja:

@bobh PS: Du kannst deutsch wenn du in der Schweiz wohnst oder?

Ja, ich kann auch deutsch (... habe ich in Hamburg gelernt ... auch die seltsame Variante, die hier mit Vorliebe gesprochen wird, verstehe ich -- aber sprechen tue ich sie nicht! :lol: )

I wouldn't say that 12 Euros are cheap for a common-date coin in this condition -- after all, if you try to sell it now at the present silver prices, I doubt that you would make any money. But it is about the "angemessener Handelspreis". Unfortunately, unless you have Morgan dollars with rare or semi-rare dates and mintmarks, they have to be in very high condition in order to bring a premium over the metal price.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

todays addings:

proofsets blue, clad

proofsets red, silver

westward journey nickels set 2004

silver eagles proof

kookaburra silver coins

I LOVE COINSHOWS :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok guys, I am back to post here a bit ..

See here my latest additions to my collection. Meanwhile I am not anymore a collector of US-Coinage, but a collector of coins from all over the World. Hope you enjoy :

Number 1 :

Lot of Kazakh 50 Tenge commemorative coins (their mintages are around 50.000)

kasach.jpg

and number 2 :

A big lot of Philippine coins

philiphge.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them.. :ninja:

Marvin

• 2 months later...
Number 1 :

Lot of Kazakh 50 Tenge commemorative coins (their mintages are around 50.000)

Hope you enjoyed them.. ;)

Marvin

I enjoyed them alot - last friday I got myself the 3 newest 50 tenge coins from the coin shop. I believe that I have the whole series excluding the first coin from 1999 and the two latest ones ("Betashar" and "T. Basenov 1909-2009").

Great coins. I like how they continue the tradition of the commemorative nickel roubles of the USSR :ninja:

Archived