CoinPeople.com

What's a good Storage Method

jlueke

I'll never have a lot of notes, say a few dozen to 100. Is there a good binder type album with sleeves that is recommended to prevent yellowing and other environmental impacts?

Something from Here perhaps?

That'd be a great place to go to get something. There are many binders and sleeves out there, and some are more spendy than others. The main thing to keep in mind is that you should make certain that the banknote holder sleeves/pages are Archival, and will not degrade the note over time. The PVC and other plastic ones are not good for long term storage of the notes. They will become brittle - or at least that's what I've read about them. Also, you may wish to make sure that the pages you are buying are going to fit all your notes. I have some that are small and some that are very large, so I actually have different sleeves for them.

Personally I have 1-inch binders with Ultra-Pro pages for the notes. This keeps my cost way down, allows for easy storage and lets my collection expand easily. The cost for Ultra Pro is much less if you order from their site directly - I've recently got 100 pages of 3 sleeves for 30.00. The going price I've seen others sell them online for is about 70.00 for 100 pages. Some resellers will piece them out if you don't need that many.

The Ultrapro site for the three pages is: http://www.ultra-pro.com/page.php?pname=gaming/pages#

Thanks. Something with multiple note sizes is definitely a must. I've got some tiny ones and a few that are decently large.

If you want to get 3 sleeve pages let me know I just bought 300 Ultra-Pro pages for $45 including shipping.

I can get boxes if people want them. It's $13 a box + shipping to wherever you live.

I can get boxes if people want them. It's $13 a box + shipping to wherever you live.

Man, I sure wish I'd known that before. . . I really can't believe people were reselling them at $70 a box. That was both no ebay and through 'real' web sites. At $13 bucks, I know who I'm gonna ask next time, though!

In the early days of my collecting, I used those heavy quality German Brand Lighthouse album. As I am close to the equator, in the tropical climate, the weather is both hot and humid. Banknotes tends to fox easily ( fungus and yellowish stain ), I store them in the bank vault or safe for better security purpose and prevent foxing. Bank safe usually have air-condition and the air less humid. As I need to store them in the safe box, the album are not practical as they are big and cannot fit into the safe box.

I sealed every piece of my banknotes with the Lighthouse non-oil based plastic. This plastic are specially manufactured for banknotes and stamps. They are non-oil base and can safely use them for a very long period. Normal PVC plastic are oil base and after keeping the notes for a period, you will notice that there are oil stained on your notes. If you notes are expensive, is better to invest in better quality album or plastic for your collection.

Condition of the notes does make a lot of differences in the value of your notes. If they are kept properly and maintain the same condition as before, they will appreciate in value over the years.

• 4 weeks later...

I posted something in the post listed by Captian Coffee about the storage of my banknotes.

I use a regular 3 ring binder and archival safe sheet protectors. I also use 4x6 photo pages for the normal sized banknotes. Works great for me. :lol:

KFC :ninja:

Archived