CoinPeople.com

FR: Monnaie de Paris 2006 Issues

tabbs

Have not seen the complete issue program of the French Mint at its web site, but a fellow collector was kind enough to scan a brochure (in French and English) that he picked up at a coin show. Low-res pictures, but you can recognize the designs.

http://msammler.piranho.com/Collections200...tion%202006.htm

Seite 1 is the front page, Seite 2 has the preface, on p. 3 to 11 there are the collector coins, and Seite 12 shows two "year medals". As usual, pretty much every issue comes in several versions/face values. Some of the issues and designs are awful in my opinion (Renault, TGV), others are ho-hum, and a few (Franklin, Cézanne) are OK. The prices however ... :ninja:

Some of the coins have already been issued, others will come later this year. But as far as I could tell, the booklet does not say anything about the release dates.

Christian

Indeed, I have been very puzzled over this year's Monnaie de Paris issue these recent years. Although I admit I like French coins, and one of the coins that I wish I could get hold is the un ultimate franc (wavy franc) and their older silver coinages, that is in my opinion one of the most disspointing ever.

In my opinion, the French doing the Chinese Zodiac series has gone to a new bottom low. While I can perfectly understand why Canada and Australia does it, but France???

The only one that impressed me was the Journee de L'Europe, but others did not grab my attention.

Indeed, I can see the same issues with modern Russian coins as Russians started to copy such "brilliant" ideas from the French, but unfortunately failing as hard or probably even harder.

Hopefully, it will be better next year :ninja:

In my opinion, the French doing the Chinese Zodiac series has gone to a new bottom low. While I can perfectly understand why Canada and Australia does it, but France???

probably for the same reason they minted those hello kitty monstrosities. thar's gold in that there crap!

probably for the same reason they minted those hello kitty monstrosities.  thar's gold in that there crap!

If they can sell those Chinese zodiac coin in China, well ... The MdP has done that before, with the Kitty pieces, as you mentioned, and also with the 2004 "French Year in China" coins. Of the latter issue, 10,000 pieces were made - and 9,800 of them were sold guess where. :ninja:

The "Journée de l'Europe" coin sure is neat as far as the theme is concerned. And the lady looks good, but that design has been used for several years. The side that is new this year looks odd in my opinion. Robert Schuman looks like a comic strip character ...

Christian

Archived