CoinPeople.com

Green asterisk after serial number

superbeast1098

I just received an old 1923 German banknote Pick P109b. It is a 5 million mark Reichsbanknote. After the serial number is a green asterisk. Does anyone have any info on the reason for that asterisk being on the note?

I have attached a photo of the note. Serial # is in the top right corner of the note.....

Thanks for any info you can provide.

KFC :ninja:

GermanyP109b_50Milli_1802A3.jpg

Thats what I was wondering myself. :lol:

Its an interesting one sided note that I bought in AU condition. It is in truly great condition for its age.....

KFC :ninja:

I think that is actually a 50 milion note - but anyway -

I too have a german note that has an asterisk, but it is in the front, well, between the alpha character and the numerals. I have often wondered what that is, and comparrison to other notes revealed that it was not the norm.

I say they were likely replacements, but it would take someone with a more thorough knowledge of these particular notes to say. If they are replacements, I think that it is just plain odd that they'd find it necessary to go to the trouble for them... especially the uniface ones which, as I understand it, were simply not worth wasting the time, effort, ink and money to print on both sides.

897780A.jpg

Just got to reference a book, and it merely stated that the Reichbanknoten were known to have many differences in the serial number, sheet mark letters and paper during the inflation period.

Doesn't really help much other than to guess that they probably aren't replacements - but I guess it could be a possibility. :ninja:

The asterisks and stars on German notes are not an indication that they are replacements. There were over a dozen different printers for German notes of the inflation period. Most of the printers had different numbering systems and fonts. Some of the printers had stars or asterisks as part of their numbering system. The different numbering styles are identified in the Rosenberg catalog of German notes. He does not identify them as replacements.

• 4 weeks later...