CoinPeople.com

Ancient Coins for under $20

jlueke

In order to prove that there is quite a nice set of ancient coinage available for under $20 post pictures of your bargains here.

Sasanian Silver Drachm - Hormazd IV 578-590 AD

Sasanian drachms of Hormazd, Xusro I, Xusro II, and Kavad I can be easily found for $20 or less. The majority of the series can be completed at under $100 per coin.

Hormazdsample.jpg

Hormazd IV ascended the throne after his father Xusro I. He fought wars against both Turkish tribes on his Eastern frontier and the Byzantine Romans in the west. While his generals were victorious against the Turks the Byzantines had the better of the Persian army's during Hormazd's reign. He demoted his vanquished general who promptly rebelled. Unfortunately for the emperor, he had not had cozy relations with the nobility during his rule. Rather than continuing persecuting Christians and catering to the nobility Hormazd IV showed religious tolerance and an affinity for the regular citizen. As soon as the rebellion started he was suddenly faced with many enemies which led to his ouster and eventual death and the subsequent struggle between Vahran and Xusro II

miletos.jpg

Miletos, Ionia, AR 1/12 Stater, ca. 5th century BC, head of a lion and a star on the reverse. Purchased for $10.00 Probably one of the oldest coins that can be found very inexpensively. Purchased in 2005

efes2.jpg

Ephesus, AE unit, ca. 2nd Century BC, female, probably a Godess, and the famous bee reverse. Purchased for $20.00 in 2004

Theodosius II (408-450 AD) AE Nummus Cross In Wreath with desert patina

TheodosiusII344.jpg

Arcadius (395-408 AD) AE Nummus

Salux Rex Republica, Constantinople Mint

Arcadius345.jpg

Constantius II Fel Temp Reparatio AE3. These are a common reverse type, but the obverse is a really nice portrait that is well highlighted by the patina.

ConstantiusII347.jpg

VRBS ROMA commemorative type from the mid 4th century. Roma on the obverse with Romulus and Remus being fed by the wolf on the reverse.

VRBS348.jpg

VRBS349.jpg

A nice antoninianus of Probus. A little bit of silvering can still be detected. This one comes from Antioch in Syria and dates to 280-281 AD.

Probus350.jpg

Not sure about this one, but I believe it is Caracalla 211-217 AD from a provincial mint.

Caracalla351.jpg

Archived