CoinPeople.com

Date or Type?

Ætheling

Mixed.

My Flying Eagle & Indian Head Cents are by date and mm. Of course, the mm thing is pretty limited.

I have a US Type Set - 20th Century - complete

I'm working on a US Type Set - 1800 to present (sort of)

My other stuff is just stuff. I have some date runs of 6d and 3d.

I'm doing a World Type set of sorts - one coin and one note from each country, both current and past.

:ninja:

Type Type Type ... I just LOVE Type collecting ;);):lol:

... but I did start a date set of US Half Cents and Large Cents :ninja:

I'll never finish them, though.

Date and mint mark for me.....I love complete sets :ninja:

Me too, except things get darn expensive this way ;-) So I limited my Germany (Fed. Rep.) collection to "by year" only, ignoring mint marks. Other coins I collect by type.

Christian

Definitely both.

When I popped my last Franklin half into the Dansco, it felt good! I am also working on date sets of Roosies, Kennedys, probably Jeffersons soon, and Lincolns, since that was what I originally started with (like so many US collectors).

But date sets can be brutal! A while ago I was thinking about some date sets with regard to evaluating how much $$$ they might require to complete. Consider, for example, Liberty Nickels, in VF20 condition. Using some magazine price guides, I came up with the following characteristics:

Total coins in the set: 33 (no 1913 of course)

Total set cost: $2,793

Average price per coin: $84.64

Range of prices: $6.50 - $885.00

Indulging my geek side, I further characterized the set with this linked table:

http://img211.exs.cx/img211/2530/ln14og.jpg

If set completion is really the goal, then I have to consider, for example, that the two keys represent 6% of the set, but 50% of the total price. Unless you are collecting strictly from circulation, not too many sets are around where 50% of the set is going to cost 50% of the total price, but sets vary wildly in this regard. The cost of a Flying Eagle cent set, with only three years of mintage will be almost entirely made up of the 1856, even if you include an overdate and the SL and LL. Franklin halves, on the other hand are more evenly distributed with VF20 price ranges between $2.50 - $20.00 across the entire set.

I guess that the same "lopsided" effect happens with type sets, but they appear to offer greater flexibility in a sense, because you can usually decide what goes into them.

Definitely both.

I collect anything that I can get my hands on. I dont really collect one certain type or date. I mainly collect US coins, because they are easier for me to get. But I do have a good bit of world coins thanks to me buying a few hundred off of Ebay :ninja:

It is a mix for me. Prior to starting a world collection I did not but dates and mint marks. I wanted full sets but now that I have entered a new realm of collecting with vast options I have to be content to get what I can when I can as my tastes tend to lean toward those hard to get coins that seem to be a little pricey and everyone else in the world wants them too! I do enjoy the hunt!

A mix for me. The US Type set is my main focus but I do collect a few series by date. I also collect world coins but not by date or type - just the ones that look cool to me.

I collect Russian and Austria-Hungarian (gold standard 1892-1918) coins by date, mintmark and variety. Also some beautifull imperial Russian medals would be nice, trying to get one this summer. I am planning to have atleast one album filled before my 100th birthday ;)

(I should have plenty of time)

I'd like to start a type collection of US-coins, i like especially the older ones. But for that, i need some help from you people who live in the USA. I'd need an album and some coins for the beginning :ninja: