CoinPeople.com

I bought an amazing Fugio Restrike!!!

kryptonitecomics

Saw this PCGS MS63 restrike on Coin Rarities website at the beginning of the month and I knew the first time I laid eyes on it that I had to own it. I made arrangements this weekend to acquire the piece and it is in route to me as of today :lol:

Honestly in looking at all of the restrike sales via Heritage over the last 3 or 4 years and I could not find a more eye appealing example with plenty of red left on the coin so I guess you can consider this a toned piece........ I always wanted to own a fugio and even though this isn't an actual federal piece.....it was priced at about a 1/3 of what a non restrike would have run me....and it was within my price range so I went for it. :ninja:

If anyone else owns a Fugio or a restrike...please post it here :cry:

13-1.jpg

13r-1.jpg

Just a bit of history on the New Haven Restrikes.....

Struck from a rusted reverse die, as usual for the issue. The "New Haven Restrike" is the traditional name for these pieces, but they were struck from copy dies during the 19th century, and were probably not made in New Haven. Listed on page 84 of the 2006 Guide Book. Most folks estimate that the coins were struck in the 1860's from new dies and were not struck from the original dies eveident by the differences vs the original design.

Awesome piece, Shane :ninja:

I love that big ol' die break on the obverse.

Does look nice.... yet the history that comes with an original is missing. For the same price, I would prefer a worn original to a mint-state restrike, but that's just me.

Does look nice.... yet the history that comes with an original is missing.  For the same price, I would prefer a worn original to a mint-state restrike, but that's just me.

I find the history and mystery surrounding the creation of these pieces compelling as well even though it's not a true federal piece. I plan on acquiring an original as well.......but I can't afford this much eye apeal on the real thing so sometimes one has to make sacrifices and for me.......nothing is more improtant than eye appeal :ninja:

Archived