CoinPeople.com

Anyone used Ebay's Best Offer feature?

Guest Stujoe

Guest Stujoe

Is it a haggle back and forth thing or a one shot deal yes or no?

I just sent off an offer but, if it is not a haggle thing, the seller is probably gonna think I low balled him. :ninja:

Guest Stujoe

For this one, the BIN is about 50 dollars over what I would like so I went 50 dollars under what I would like. Well, I will wait and see what happens and if there is a counter offer.

I counter offered on a new set of Roman Imperial Coins. Dealer was asking 1250 BIN. I offered 1000, echeck through Paypal and it was accepted. I made the transfer plus $35 for shipping the same day. The dealer had 5 sets for sale, so I assume it was a profit for him and I felt I got a good deal as well. Plus, he earned a new customer for future purchases given the ease of the transaction. I picked my price based on the volumes I really wanted (they came to $850) and the fact that i felt the full set was of more value than a partial set.I basically split the cost between what it would cost me to buy just what I wanted and what the dealer was asking for a full set. I believe we were both pleased with the outcome.

Guest Stujoe

Well, this sucks! :lol:

I just got a simple "Offer declined. Sorry, your offer has been declined" email from Ebay.

So, no biggie, right? I go to the auction to make another offer and the auction says:

Drum Roll Please...

"You have reached the maximum number of offers allowed on this item therefore you cannot make another offer. " and the only other option in the auction is to take the BIN which is too high, IMHO.

Serves me right for even thinking of using Ebay. :ninja:

Guest Stujoe

Yeah. Live and learn. I do have another ID I could use. But, of course, I will only get one shot with it too. I will think about it after I get over being PO'd. :ninja:

Well, this sucks! :ninja:

Its not easy being green. :lol:

Seriously, it sounds like the difference between two dealers. I received an email from the dealer where I made the offer. And, he made a new customer. Had I received a curt reply as you did, I would have moved on and bought from another dealer as I had originally planned. Too many just don't care about their customers. I don't understand it, but then I don't go back for a second bad experience.

Guest Stujoe

Hey! I'm not a frog! I'm an ogre! :ninja:

Anyway, I don't think it is the seller who sent the email. It looked like an autogenerated Ebay email. Or maybe the seller chooses what email to send? And, the seller might be the one who chose not to let me make any more offers? Not sure if that is Ebays or his call. BaHumbug! :lol:

About the Best Offer....

This feature allows sellers to receive price-based offers from buyers which can be accepted at the discretion of the seller. This feature is available for listings in the Fixed Price format, and once a buyers best offer is accepted by the seller, the listing ends.

Each Best Offer is binding, just like a bid, and is good for 48 hours. Buyers may choose to offer more than the stated Fixed Price so that shipping is included in the final price.

Once a buyer makes a Best Offer, you can choose one of the following:

Accept the Best Offer and close the listing.

Decline the Best Offer and tell the buyer why the offer was rejected.

Allow the offer to expire on its own in 48 hours (the offer will also expire when the listing ends).

The number of Best Offers per item that buyers may submit varies by category. Currently the maximum number of offers for eBay.com is one (1). For items in Business and Industrial categories the offer limit is three (3).

Guest Stujoe

Thanks for the info, Brett. I will know better next time. Still deciding if I want to make pursue the item. Seems kind of silly to only be able to offer once and no counter offer but it must help Ebay some way.

Guest 50cents
If it's something you really want, contact the seller and negotiate.  I did that with a coin I bought recently, so it's not unheard of, though it might be against the rules of ebay.

I agree with you.

If it's something you really want, contact the seller and negotiate.  I did that with a coin I bought recently, so it's not unheard of, though it might be against the rules of ebay.

It is against the rules but that hasn't stopped me. I send at least one "would you consider and offer of $XXX" email a month to eBay sellers with a 50% success rate. If you offer to pay with a check, the seller is saving eBay and Paypal fees so more often than not, everyone wins (except for eBay).

Guest Stujoe

This time I got an Offer Declined email but the seller filled me in on what he needed out of the coin in the remarks section. I am going to pass but I think that is a much better way for a seller to handle the Offered Declined situation.

Archived