CoinPeople.com

beyond beautiful!

Doogy

While perusing the aisles of Ebay this morning, I came upon this beauty. I'm no expert, but i can't see there being too many gold coins of this type in much better condition!

img.jpg

I'll have to dig under the couch cushions to see if I can come up with the $154k asking price. :ninja:

Doug

It's not as nice as this:

1629417-009o.jpg

1629417-009r.jpg

Of course that one might cost you more than $154K!

Makes you wonder if they broke with tradition and wore gloves when pressing this one into the holder...

It's not as nice as this:

1629417-009o.jpg

1629417-009r.jpg

Of course that one might cost you more than $154K!

No argument from me! I thought there was only one King of Siam proof set, and that it sold not to long ago to some collector/dealer in California for $8 million? BTW, what would that single coin you show be worth?

Doug

No argument from me!  I thought there was only one King of Siam proof set, and that it sold not to long ago to some collector/dealer in California for $8 million?  BTW, what would that single coin you show be worth? 

Doug

You always see the picture of the proof set in the original box, but I saw one photo recently that made me think they have been removed, graded, and encapsulated. I can understand why one might do that to preserve the orginal coins, but its an example of whats wrong with encapsulation for me. The set in capsules and an empty box just don't have the same ambiance. I would guess that's why they show the old photograph of the set in the presentation box.

No argument from me!  I thought there was only one King of Siam proof set, and that it sold not to long ago to some collector/dealer in California for $8 million?  BTW, what would that single coin you show be worth? 

Doug

That coin is indeed part of the $8 million proof set, so it's unlikely to be sold apart from the set. There are a couple other proof restrikes known, and I would guess they would be at least 7 figures. It's a shame though that a coin as beautiful as this is upstaged by it's silver dollar cousin in that proof set!

You always see the picture of the proof set in the original box, but I saw one photo recently that made me think they have been removed, graded, and encapsulated. I can understand why one might do that to preserve the orginal coins, but its an example of whats wrong with encapsulation for me. The set in capsules and an empty box just don't have the same ambiance. I would guess that's why they show the old photograph of the set in the presentation box.

Couldn't they come up with a way to protect the whole set? Heck, for the PR alone the grading service should come up with a unique slab. If I ever got that rich and owned those puppies I'd have a crackout party to top all crackout parties.

Couldn't they come up with a way to protect the whole set?  Heck, for the PR alone the grading service should come up with a unique slab.  If I ever got that rich and owned those puppies I'd have a crackout party to top all crackout parties.

Can I join the party? I promise not to drink and crack!

Archived