A Babble of Bawbees from Jockland

Scottishmoney

charlesiibawbee1677.jpg

1677 Bawbee

charlesiibawbee1678.jpg

1678 Bawbee

charlesiibawbee1679.jpg

1679 Bawbee

Bawbees, or sixpence Scots were quite possibly the most popular coin circulating in Scotland during the 15th-18th century. Whilst it started out as a silver coin with some value, gradually it was debased and devalued to the point at which it had the equivalent value of an English halfpenny. As the most popular coin, the great majority of the coins saw heavy and long term circulation. Curiously when Scotland and England were united by the Union of 1707, the only circulating Scottish coinages which were called in for reminting were the silver and gold issues.

As a result the coppers from the late 17th century circulated because of a lack of new British coinage finding it's way to Scotland, and these bawbees saw service deep into the 18th century, only disappearing from circulation by the 1760's.

charlesiibawbee1677.jpg

1677 Bawbee

charlesiibawbee1678.jpg

1678 Bawbee

charlesiibawbee1679.jpg

1679 Bawbee

........As a result the coppers from the late 17th century circulated because of a lack of new British coinage finding it's way to Scotland, and these bawbees saw service deep into the 18th century, only disappearing from circulation by the 1760's.

which proves conclusively that the Scots really knew how to make their money spin out..... :ninja:

These coins are not so easy to find in the wild now though Dave. The name`bawbee' however continued in Scottish folklore well past the 1760's becoming the common term for the halfpenny. The Edinburgh `Conder' 1/2d token of the1790's (St Andrews carrying cross obv / Castle within shield rev) still gets referred to as an `Edinburgh Bawbee' back here in Jockland.

Ian; Several years ago I bought a William I penny, it is my earliest Scottish coin. But I still live to regret having bought it and not the EF William and Mary Bawbee from 1694, I may never find another nicer.

It is not unusual to find nicer silver and gold, they were hoarded, but the coppers however are scarcer than hen's teeth because they were not hoarded but heavily used.

Ian;  Several years ago I bought a William I penny, it is my earliest Scottish coin.  But I still live to regret having bought it and not the EF William and Mary Bawbee from 1694, I may never find another nicer.

It is not unusual to find nicer silver and gold, they were hoarded, but the coppers however are scarcer than hen's teeth because they were not hoarded but heavily used.

Back in 1997 I was asked by a colleague to get a `bawbee' for them. The one I got was an EF Wm and Mary. I picked it up for only a fiver from a postal auction. I gave it to them as a gift and have kicked myself ever since for my generosity. :-)

I do have a Wm and Mary bodle though. It is in pretty low grade (ie `washer') but still discernable as to what it is.

Archived