CoinPeople.com

TRIBUTE COINS

glmike

What is the attitude toward "Tribute" coins of currency. NCM has a number of these type of coins (rare Us Coins) offered.

What I found is that they do satisfy your craving for a particular rare coin that most collectors would never be able to buy.

I know that they are NOT real currency and are so marked, however, they look real in your and. What does everyone think? Should they be offered? If they are, would you buy any of them?

I like them. I have a few from the Gallery Mint and the design details are wonderful. They're reproduced in the correct size and metal. It's a nice way to fill a hole that you'll never complete with the real thing.

I've used them with my students when I was teaching. You can safely pass around a $10 Large Cent replica. The real thing would put tears in my eyes. They like to drop things.

Guest Stujoe

They are not my 'thing' but I have no problem with them as medals or medallions or whatever you want to call them and people value them accordingly. Some of them are pretty.

Personally, I prefer the ones from the Gallery Mint as they are made to exact specifications of originals with the requisite marks under the hobby protection act. As I recall some of the NCM coins are not to exact specification and appear as silver or gold plated tokens. As a caveat, I don't own any products from either company.

I have gotten replicas from both the NCM and the Gallery Mint.

I was much happier with the Gallery Mint replicas then I was with the NCM.

I just got the ancients set from the GM. The dekadrachm and Eid-Mar denarius are probably coins I'll never own so having these replicas is quite nice. They comply by stamping copy into the items as well, plus the style is quite different so any chance for abuse is confined to the wilfully ignorant.

I just got the ancients set from the GM.  The dekadrachm and Eid-Mar denarius are probably coins I'll never own so having these replicas is quite nice.  They comply by stamping copy into the items as well, plus the style is quite different so any chance for abuse is confined to the wilfully ignorant.

I have been wanting to purchase the whole set of Athenian Owls from GMM, they have a drachm, tetradrachm and the dekadrachm.

I have been wanting to purchase the whole set of Athenian Owls from GMM, they have a drachm, tetradrachm and the dekadrachm.

Yeah, I got the set of four replicas for $100, they're in my new purchases thread. It's just that I'll probably own the real version of the drachm and tetradrachm at some point.

Archived