CoinPeople.com

Cameras

ccg

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but any suggestions for inexpensive ($100 or so), but good cameras for macro photography? Virtually none of the stores here carry anything useful for under 200-300, and even those aren't good for close-ups.

I'm kind of partial to Nikons. I've used them since the film days and always found them to have a quality product. The CoolPix series is pretty easy to use. I'm not up to speed on all of the model numbers but as Ron pointed out - anything with 2 or more MegaPixels and Macro focus should do it.

Nikon USA has a website that used to have the specs for each camera. I'd check ebay. When I purchased my last Nikon, Target actually had the best prices by quite a bit.

Guest Stujoe

There are probably a lot of good used cameras out there. This guy:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.c...threadid=482860

uses a Nikon 950 which is a number of years out of date but apparently can take awesome pictures. Not sure of his set up, etc and how much is camera and how much is skill. But, IIRC, he got his for a song off of Ebay.

I bet there are a number of different cameras out there like that that can be bought cheaply some maybe even factory refurbished.

ccg, Get a camera that is easy to transfer to your computer. I guess the best is bluetooth, I use a SD card and reader. Hooking up those cables drove me battier. Other than that, get a cheap camera and progress to taking the best pics possible with it. By then you'll know what you want to invest in. Mike

i just beta-tested a camera for hewlett-packard that may show promise (the photosmart r927) ... looks like retail on that camera is about $450, tho.

i really need to take an afternoon, set up and then try to take some photos for real...

i just beta-tested a camera for hewlett-packard that may show promise (the photosmart r927) ... looks like retail on that camera is about $450, tho. 

i really need to take an afternoon, set up and then try to take some photos for real...

The other day I was browsing some forums about good deals on things, freebies and stuff. One of the post was about testing some digital cameras. I was wondering do you get to keep that camera once the testing period completed? or you'll get the finished camera later when they release it? or how does it work...

I dont mind getting something free just for testing it :ninja:

.... I was wondering do you get to keep that camera once the testing period completed? or you'll get the finished camera later when they release it? or how does it work...

I dont mind getting something free just for testing it  :ninja:

Not sure how it works there, but I got to test one of Nokia's new "t.v." phones. I did not get to keep it as the wanted to view the logs of how I used the phone. Nor did I get an option to buy it on the cheap. Not that I would have, that model was too clumsy to use.

The other day I was browsing some forums about good deals on things, freebies and stuff. One of the post was about testing some digital cameras. I was wondering do you get to keep that camera once the testing period completed? or you'll get the finished camera later when they release it? or how does it work...

I dont mind getting something free just for testing it  :ninja:

it depends on who's running the test program. betasphere (now called "voc online") usually works the deal where you get to test the item and you get to keep it if you fulfill your testing obligations (by completing specific evaluations). i got to keep the camera.

i've done other tests with betasphere before and it's been a good experience all around.

Guest 50cents

I purchase this Olympus FE-100 for my wife today and of course I had to try it out on some coins first. The cost was $112.49. The camera has a super macro feature.

Here is the first picture out of the box using this feature.

WL075.jpg

Not to bad for $112.49 at CircuitCity.

I purchase this Olympus FE-100 for my wife today and of course I had to try it out on some coins first. The cost was $112.49. The camera has a super macro feature.

Here is the first picture out of the box using this feature.

[...]

Not to bad for $112.49 at CircuitCity.

That's a terrific shot and wow what a great price - not familiar with that model but Olympus seems to deliver some great macro capabilities at low cost.

That's a terrific shot and wow what a great price - not familiar with that model but Olympus seems to deliver some great macro capabilities at low cost.

Agreed. For my birthday I think I'll be asking for an Olympus camera.

that phone does look kinda clunky ... but i mucked along with a Nokia 3650 for a few years. i did get used to the goofy round keypad, tho.

Not sure how it works there, but I got to test one of Nokia's new "t.v." phones. I did not get to keep it as the wanted to view the logs of how I used the phone. Nor did I get an option to buy it on the cheap. Not that I would have, that model was too clumsy to use.

Nice pic, 50... you're decomposing!!!  :ninja:

Those are very nice coin shots. What batteries does this camera take, and how convient is it to hook up/download to the computer? I have been thinking about a digital camera for awhile now, but it will have to be an all around camera. Macro feature, and family photos.

Guest 50cents

The camera takes 2- AA batteries and is a 4 megapixel camera.

I think it woud be a great family camera. It's very easy to hook up

to the computer and downloads pictures with ease.

Archived