CoinPeople.com

Clashed Dies on Morgan Silver Dollars

Mr Lee

A previous subject I posted on the old forum that some here might find of interest:

Clashed dies are evident on practically all dates of Morgans. It resulted when a blank planchet was not advanced in the press, allowing the obverse and reverse dies to come into contact. A portion of each die would be impressed in to the other and this resulted in the extra impression being raised on the coin. The clashing of dies could occur at any time in the life of a die therefore coins struck from die clashes may number from a few to several hundred thousand. Severe die clash marks were often removed from the working dies by polishing the die fields and the dies reused again.

In the following drawings the opposite side is superimposed by a dotted outline. This shows how the designs line up when the dies came together.

gallery_90_16_3957.jpggallery_90_16_14310.jpg

There are various degrees of clashed dies and even cases of mulitple clashes out of register on the same coin. On the reverse, a light "vee" to the right of the eagle's left wing and next to the wreath. This is an impression from the back of the Liberty head cap.

gallery_90_16_9293.jpg

Also on the reverse, a line extends upwards from the top of the eagle's right wing to the N of the IN in the motto. This impression is from the obverse neck line.

gallery_90_16_2139.jpg

The fact that all these impressions show up most clearly on the right side of the coin indicates that the right sides of the obverse and reverse dies must have come together first. Sometimes the cotton bolls and stems show above the arrow heads.

On more heavily clashed dies, the nose and lip profile shows up on the reverse next to the inner part of the left wreath. Liberty head's hair can cause marks next to the eagle's throat. The ultimate in clashed dies, however, occurs when part of the word LIBERTY from the obverse is impressed on the reverse. The E in LIBERTY shows tilted to the left below the eagle's tail feathers.

gallery_90_16_14962.jpg

On the top row, you can the die clashes common to the obverse of Morgan Dollars, the neck, the lips and the back of the cap.

gallery_90_16_8232.jpg

Clashed die coins are generally not collectible since they are so common. The exception is when an E from LIBERTY shows on the reverse. A partial E is collectible to a minor degree and generally does not command a premium. A full E is more desirable and it brings a premium depending upon it's rarity.

Here are a few pictures of an 1882-CC GSA Morgan of mine with a rotated die causing multiple clashes:

Clash at Lips:

gallery_90_16_15383.jpg

Clash at back of Cap:

gallery_90_16_17596.jpg

Clashes on Reverse:

gallery_90_16_21775.jpg

I hope this is of some help to those here who find die clashes on their Morgans and wonder how they occured. While most have no added value, they are fun to collect and study

Very good write-up, thanks much.

I have several Peace Dollars with clash marks,

though not as common in this smaller set

with improving improving mint technology.

-Ron

• 10 months later...

Mark just referenced this great thread in the Error forum. I wanted to bump it for fresh, young CPs like me to see.

Great resource. I'll have to check CP for clashed die figures for other series.

Archived