CoinPeople.com

NGC or PCGS?

Doogy

Let's say you're going to buy a pre-slabbed coin from Ebay or a dealer. Which TPG would you rather buy a slabbed coin from, PCGS or NGC. Lets also assume the pricing/coin/grade were equal, and what would be the reason(s) for your answer.

(FYI, in case you were wondering why I left ANACS out: All of my world gold collection is ANACS, but i don't know much about the other two TPGs and didn't want to exclude them should the right deal come along)

thanks!

Doug

Guest Stujoe

I would buy the coin that I liked better.

If both coins were virtually identical (or it was a sight unseen transaction), I would buy the one being offered by the dealer I liked the best. If they were both being offered by the same dealer, I would buy the NGC because they were nice to me one time when I was developing a web site.

Probably not the answer you were looking for but that is what I would do. The plastic doesn't matter to me much anyway because it is highly likely that it will end up being cracked out of the holder by me.

BTW: If you threw ANACS into the mix, I would have a harder time because I like what they do at coin shows and they helped me out once at one. Also, I know I can easily crack an (old style) ANACS slab.

You will, in all likelihood, pay more for the PCGS right now. Just seems to be a "hotter" market for thier slabbed coins. They usually bring a bit more than NGC. But, I'm with Stu - buy the COIN you like best.

Between NGC and PCGS, I'd say it's equal. SO if you think the coins are equal go with the best overall deal. PCGS seems to carry a higher premium. I don't have a clue as to weither that will hold or not.

If pricing, coin, and grade were all equal I'd go with the PCGS for the simple fact that they are valued more in many series.

If I wasn't going to sell anytime soon then I'd pck the coin I liked better regardless of service.

When it comes to submitting raw coins, I would choose NGC hands down as their customer service makes PCGS look like some business taken right from the old Soviet Union. As for pre-certified coins, I would first choose the coin I liked best, if they were equal coins (which is doubtful for what I collect) then I would go by other factors, such as price, the dealer etc.

I would buy the coin that I liked better.

If both coins were virtually identical (or it was a sight unseen transaction), I would buy the one being offered by the dealer I liked the best. If they were both being offered by the same dealer, I would buy the NGC because they were nice to me one time when I was developing a web site.

Probably not the answer you were looking for but that is what I would do. The plastic doesn't matter to me much anyway because it is highly likely that it will end up being cracked out of the holder by me.

BTW: If you threw ANACS into the mix, I would have a harder time because I like what they do at coin shows and they helped me out once at one. Also, I know I can easily crack an (old style) ANACS slab.

All very true, buy the coin that looks just that little bit better.

Your right about the old ANACS slabs, my 1853 Arrows & Rays Half was in one, it was out in less than 20 seconds with just a pair of pliers. Snip, snip... :ninja:

Buy the coin not the slab....

With that said, if you plan on selling your collection in the future (hey it happens), PCGS is the way to go. Those slabs go for a premium over NGC and ANACS because of the name, not the coin.

Buy the coin not the slab....

With that said, if you plan on selling your collection in the future (hey it happens), PCGS is the way to go. Those slabs go for a premium over NGC and ANACS because of the name, not the coin.

This is not always the case. Certainly for modern high-grade coins this seems to be the case, but it's certainly not true for pre-1933 gold or other areas dominated by collectors who see beyond the plastic.

This is not always the case.  Certainly for modern high-grade coins this seems to be the case, but it's certainly not true for pre-1933 gold or other areas dominated by collectors who see beyond the plastic.

Jeff said it best. The PCGS premium, outside of modern coins, is virtually non-existent these days. I prefer NGC over PCGS as I believe the grading is more conservative.

Jeff said it best.  The PCGS premium, outside of modern coins, is virtually non-existent these days.  I prefer NGC over PCGS as I believe the grading is more conservative.

True. I forgot to add that part.

NGC would be my top pick for a lot of coins, almost all.

This is not always the case.  Certainly for modern high-grade coins this seems to be the case, but it's certainly not true for pre-1933 gold or other areas dominated by collectors who see beyond the plastic.

It does depend. For Lincolns it is definitely the case, as well as most Indians. That's why it's best just to buy the coins you like :ninja:

Archived