CoinPeople.com

EU Presidency Coin 2006

tabbs

a new $5 euro being released

Don't think that Finland issues dollar-euro coins. :ninja: But I believe this one (EU Presidency) will have a bimetallic look again. The two earlier €5 coins from Finland, issued in 2003 and 2005 were bimets; the Åland coin was probably an exception (also with regard to the Swedish text) ...

Christian

http://www.euronumis.com/?p=264

Credit to the photographer duly given as usual. :ninja:

Christian

Ahh, I see you found them! I took the photos the same day that I got sick, but never got around to posting them here as we left to Switzerland basically right away after we got well.

Don't think that Finland issues dollar-euro coins.  :ninja:  But I believe this one (EU Presidency) will have a bimetallic look again. The two earlier €5 coins from Finland, issued in 2003 and 2005 were bimets; the Åland coin was probably an exception (also with regard to the Swedish text) ...

Christian

Yes, it will most likely be a bimetal, or than (though less likely) a single metal like the Ahvenamaa coin. A couple of years ago the Finance Minister stated its intent to limit the number of silver commemoratives coins to 2 per year. And we have our 2 for this year already.

• 2 months later...
... But I believe this one (EU Presidency) will have a bimetallic look again. ...

Yes it will be a bi-metal coin. In fact I just received the product news letter from the Mint. In addition to the €5 issue, the coin will also be issued as a €50 silver/gold bi-metal.

It's a nice design. I guess they gave up on the 2€ piece.

OK, the Mint's overproduction :ninja: has made this a bit confusing I am sure but there will be a special €2 coin for this year. The image that Christian posted is for the €5 and for the €50 gold/silver bi-met. These coins are being struck to honor Finland's hosting of the EU Presidency this year. So one design here for two coins.

However, the design for the collector coin commemorating the 100th year of Parliamentary reform in Finland has already been released as a €10 coin and the same design of the reverse (the side with the 2 faces) will be used on the special commemorative €2 for this year.

I hope this makes things clearer.

However, the design for the collector coin commemorating the 100th year of Parliamentary reform in Finland has already been released as a €10 coin and the same design of the reverse (the side with the 2 faces) will be used on the special commemorative €2 for this year.

The European Commission lists that €2 coin here by the way:

http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/euro/n...e%20year%202006

See "2006 / Finland - 100th anniversary of universal and equal suffrage". Click on the coin picture to see a large image of the design.

Christian

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the info and the links!

So now we know what those characters represents: The coin has, quote, text balloons with letter patterns. The artist does apparently not view the EU Presidency very enthusiastic, hehe.

Is there any chance of the Suomi Superhero getting some of these coins for us? :ninja: I would very much like to have one of the €5 pieces ...

Christian

Thank you for the info and the links!

Is there any chance of the Suomi Superhero getting some of these coins for us? :lol:  I would very much like to have one of the €5 pieces ...

Christian

You are welcome!

Of course I can try and get you one, but please be aware that this is Moneta we are dealing with. Things are not always as they appear. While the coin may say €5, it really means €13.50. :ninja: So if you are still interested, please let me know.

Hmm, let me ponder a little. :ninja: I actually saw that price tag on the Finnish site but thought that was for the proof version. Well well well ...

(Do you remember how much the two previous bi-met €5 pieces were?)

Christian

Hmm, let me ponder a little. :ninja: I actually saw that price tag on the Finnish site but thought that was for the proof version. Well well well ...

(Do you remember how much the two previous bi-met €5 pieces were?)

Christian

Appearantly the only proof version will be the gold/silver version, unless they are issued along with the annual proof set which would make it a few thousand.

This year's Åland €5 commem had the same price charged: €13.50, while last year's €5 was face value.

Well, if one cannot get these new €5 coins from the bank like the older bi-mets, I might as well buy one from a dealer around here. Thanks for your offer though. :ninja: As for the design, the two coins are quite interesting. Considering that the occasion itself is a fairly abstract one, the somewhat abstract look is much better than, say, yet another map of Europe ...

Christian

Well, if one cannot get these new €5 coins from the bank like the older bi-mets, I might as well buy one from a dealer around here. Thanks for your offer though. :lol:  As for the design, the two coins are quite interesting. Considering that the occasion itself is a fairly abstract one, the somewhat abstract look is much better than, say, yet another map of Europe ...

Christian

Actually none of the previous Finnish €5 have been available from banks. Most were distributed directly to individuals who had to sign up for a lottery. Those whose names were randomly selected won the "right" to purchase them for face value via post. Also a certain portion were distributed directly to select dealers who then sold them to the general public. Moneta likes to make things simple. :ninja:

You will probably be able to find it at a cheaper price than me anyhow. :cry:

Archived