CoinPeople.com

1903 Indian

From a quick look at the picture, I'd have to call it MS65. I hate to grade from pictures. The only downside on a 65 would be the small carbon spots on both obv and rev. I was trying to decide if the coin was actually a proof the surfaces are so fine that it's tempting to call it one.

It's a great coin. Thanks for sharing.

How do you grade it?

I want to hold off on saying grade, since the dealer had a grade and I'm just parroting him.

Edit:

BTW Art, this is the coin I was bidding on. Odd times do pay off. So it is the photo they had. I'll relace with new ones when it arrives.

One other question I have on this one. I am not sure on the color grades. What color would this be considered?

Just to stir the pot some. I got it cheap no matter which one from the pcgs prices page or the 2006 red book.

One other question I have on this one. I am not sure on the color grades. What color would this be considered?

Just to stir the pot some. I got it cheap no matter which one from the pcgs prices page or the 2006 red book.

Unless there's something in the lighting that's off, I'd say Red.

Guest Stujoe

Going by the photos, and keeping in mind that I know little about the series in that kind of grade or how the spots affect it, I would go MS65 Red. Sharp coin with practically no marks. I will be interested to hear what you think when you get it in hand.

Then at least according to pcgs site I did not get a good deal it was excellent deal.

Remember that the PCGS site is often the very top of prices and usually reflects prices for PCGS graded coins. The prices can be quite different for raw.

Let me add that PCGS or NGC or ANACS or ? it is still one beautiful Indian Head Cent.

Yep, thats why I mentioned the red book. Only thing the red book does not break it down on red brown.

Instead of me goofing around. I ended up getting it for a little over $40 + shipping and insurance.

Yep, thats why I mentioned the red book. Only thing the red book does not break it down  on red brown.

Instead of me goofing around. I ended up getting it for a little over $40 + shipping and insurance.

That's an outstanding price for that coin. You did very well. I can't wait till you get it and can share more about it with us. You've got a good eye for a bargain.

One other stupid question. The carbon you mentioned was a worry on my part. In the cleaning thread would acetone remove it? I'm hesitant to touch this one.

I do not believe that acetone will affect it. If I am not mistake, carbon spotting is in a class like toning so to remove it would require something stronger like dipping. But on a copper coin I think that would be out of the question.

I have had a silver proof Washer with a carbon spot for years. I decided long ago to "let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be. Let that carbon spot be, let it be......" :ninja:

I do not believe that acetone will affect it. If I am not mistake, carbon spotting is in a class like toning so to remove it would require something stronger like dipping. But on a copper coin I think that would be out of the question.

I have had a silver proof Washer with a carbon spot for years. I decided long ago to "let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be. Let that carbon spot be, let it be......" :ninja:

Okay, I'll just back away from the coin. :lol:

One other stupid question. The carbon you mentioned was a worry on my part. In the cleaning thread would acetone remove it? I'm hesitant to touch this one.

When you see carbon spots like that on a copper in particular, it's an impurity within the planchett that has turned. I've been told that dipping will only remove the spots temporarily and then they'll return. BUT dipping a copper is a very tricky business. Most are ruined. Keep the coin environmentally sound and it should be fine.

Sir Sisu is right, acetone won't help the carbon spots.

Archived