CoinPeople.com

The Bay Buys Today

bobbycoin

Looking for more info on these then the sellers can give:

"it appears to be copper and is British, dated 1720, Says Brittania on front,  and back seems to say George...rest is unreadable. Had a hole drilled in it unfortunately since it was on a very old necklace with the other coin I have listed,  but seems to be authentic.I am more than willing to verify with coin dealer if requested."

osqr13.jpg

osqr76.jpg

I hoping this is one of the Poem series:

"Beautiful and unique Japanese coin.  Brought to US by family member who lived in Japan after WWII as Military.  Found in family coin collection that was inherited. "

osqra1.jpg

osqrgz.jpg

"Beautiful early Japanese coin.  100 Mon (Tenpo Tsuho)  1 1/4 by 1 3/4 in large.  Emblem  of a cherry blossom at bottom of one side.  Brass."

osqsz5.jpg

osqt1k.jpg

"Vintage Joannes Paulus II Medal- Made In Italy."

osqst0.jpg

Thanks for any info,

-Bobby

#2 would appear to be a Korean mun pre-1900. Depending on the size, it could be pre-1800 (still only worth a dollar as far as I know.

And, yes, #3 is a Japanese 100 mon dating between 1837-70.

I think I should mention, also, you have the obverse of both those coins upside-down :ninja:

And are you sure that's not a George I farthing?

And that medal...well...I don't do medals :lol:

Thanks for the info guys.

SMS, Im not sure of anything :lol: Looking at the Halfpenny in the link I posted I was almost sure, but looking up George I farthings they also look similar. My Collectors Coins of GB book doesnt go back that far so I will have to wait to have it in hand and hopefully determine by size and maybe more details.

As for the asian coins being up side down.... good to know, these are the sellers images from the auction though. When I take my pics Ill turn them around :ninja:

As for the medal.... If no one has any info here, Ill post if over in the Exonumia forum.

Thanks again,

-Bobby

SMS, Im not sure of anything :ninja: Looking at the Halfpenny in the link I posted I was almost sure, but looking up George I farthings they also look similar. My Collectors Coins of GB book doesnt go back that far so I will have to wait to have it in hand and hopefully determine by size and maybe more details.

-Bobby

It is a farthing. The position of the letters tell the tale. On farthings, the S (of Georgivs) is at the left of the laurel, about 12 o'clock. On halfpennies, the S is far to the right of the bust, about 1 o'clock.

Also, the twig Britannia is holding on the reverse. On farthings, the twig separates the A & N of Britannia, while on the halfpennies, the twig in just inside the T, and does not interrupt the spacing of the letters.

Recieved a package from the seller of the Farthing with a 1836 British Four Pence instead of the coin I purchased. I emailed the seller, the responce was quite prompt. The seller stated they would send the correct coin and I could keep this one. :lol::ninja:

Free stuff rules!

-Bobby

Recieved a package from the seller of the Farthing with a 1836 British Four Pence instead of the coin I purchased. I emailed the seller, the responce was quite prompt. The seller stated they would send the correct coin and I could keep this one.  :lol:  :ninja:

Free stuff rules!

-Bobby

That's a nice outcome to the error. Sounds like a good seller.

The bottom picture of the Japanese cash coin (1 mon) is upside down. Reading top to bottom, right to left, it says "Dzo Hei Ni Yon", most likely indicating that it was cast in the 24th year of the Dzo Hei era. There doesn't appear to be a match anywhere in the 2006 JNDA catalog and I haven't found a matching Nengo (Era Name) in any of my sources, which are far from complete.

The characters on the other side are illegible from wear.

The 100 mon, in that condition, is essentially worthless. They are very common in much better condition.

The bottom picture of the Japanese cash coin (1 mon) is upside down.  Reading top to bottom, right to left, it says "Dzo Hei Ni Yon", most likely indicating that it was cast in the 24th year of the Dzo Hei era.  There doesn't appear to be a match anywhere in the 2006 JNDA catalog and I haven't found a matching Nengo (Era Name) in any of my sources, which are far from complete.

The characters on the other side are illegible from wear.

The 100 mon, in that condition, is essentially worthless.  They are very common in much better condition.

Thank you again to everyone who provided information on these.

tomodachi - Welcome to the Forum. These are the sellers pics and SMS had pointed out the upsidedowness of them. I will disagree on the worthlessness of the 100 mon as it is one of the larger coins in my collection. It will most likely go into the section for oddly shapped coins. Maybe a future pocket piece, im sure it will spark many of conversations.

An update on the Farthing/4pence tale. the Seller Emailed me and stated she may have lost the coin. She states she will look again and if she can not find it she has offered to refund my money +$5.

-Bobby

The bottom picture of the Japanese cash coin (1 mon) is upside down.  Reading top to bottom, right to left, it says "Dzo Hei Ni Yon", most likely indicating that it was cast in the 24th year of the Dzo Hei era.

I've not heard of a Dzo Hei era. Perhaps just a difference in translating it to roman characters. Do you mean the Shohei era? 24th year would put that at 1370AD. I think gxseries should be able to qualify the era for us if he sees this :ninja:

My Craig catalog only goes as far back as the Kyoho era.

I honestly doubted that it was a Japanese coin, and I am somewhat right. I was betting that it was a Chinese coin, but it seemed I am horribly wrong :ninja:

A quick check on google seem to reveal that it's a... Korean coin, which is possible as Korea used to be part of China.

http://guixun.nease.net/kuanyongchangping/chaoxian.htm

I can't seem to be able to locate the year for it, but it might be around 1600-1700s. But judging from the "fresh" strike, it might seen awfully new, like probably 1800-1900, which might make this coin some kind of fantasy coin but so far I cannot prove either.

• 3 weeks later...

The Korean coin is a SonHyeChong (Rice and Cloth Department) issue of 1742-1752, according to Mandel. His numbering M10.12-6. The top character is the mint, (Son) and the bottom character is Chu (infinite time). Probably a value 2- a little bigger than a quarter? KM184

The reverse(2 characters) is upright, the obverse (4 characters) is upside down.

During this time period Korea was formally a Chinese vassal state, but actually was quite independant. Korea was the hermit Kingdom, and China was the home of the emperor.

Archived