CoinPeople.com

Ebay madness

Mark Stilson

Last night while browsing ebay saw a "tribute" 1893 s Morgan going for over $100. Now the seller did did say it was a replica. (Maybe could of stated it better.) But never the less they got in a bidding war. The really sad part was a little later the same "tribute" morgan was going for under $10.

I noticed on the first auction, he had a hard time with punctuation. One could possibly say the auction claimed:

Now, you can reserve your own 1894 "S" rare San Franicsco Mintage reproduction Morgan silver Dollar Morgan from the San Francisco mint

ie: that the auctioneer claims it is from the San Francisco mint, and a lawfully minted reproduction (like some other American bullion content coins. Mexico comes to mind off-hand).

I don't doubt someone buys it with PayPal then makes a claim under PayPal's buyer protection claiming misrepresentation.

On the 1885/95, the auctioneer does in fact say he took it to a dealer and the dealers take on it. But, in the very same breath, denies the claim and says (verbatim): This coin is a 1895 morgan silver dollar right off the bat.

Bad grammatics, double talk, and more than blatant *hints* of ignorance make this sound like a scammer who just covering himself when he's found out.

In fact, I just looked at all his auctions, and they are ALL reproductions/fakes. If I'm not mistaken, didn't eBay "enact" a new policy last year on coins that the auction title must state repro/copy/fake in it?

You should also check out the way he ships the morgan. It is by a freight company. If I was to bid and win this :cry:  ;)  :ninja: the freight costs would be $276.83

I got 254.55, but that's for a zip in the US that I'd have to get to :lol:

I sent a complaint to eBay. I've not done that before. We'll see if I get a response. The listing is so clearly fradulent and clearly violates many posted eBay policies (the shipping rate alone as i read the policies) that I expect they would act. We'll see.

Ebay is heading for a fall with the feds. The idiots in charge seem to imagine that fraud committed online doesn't matter to the feds, but that is the sort of imagination one gets from huffing airplane glue.

I've come to really despise ebay. They are so obviously complicit in the fraud being committed by their 'power sellers' .

Keep finding really strange stuff. Now this one is a buy now for 1 cent. But 11 dollars shipping and insurance. (From China)

http://tinyurl.com/jxcxh

Another oddity. For sale one U.S. nickel it may or may not be rare? http://tinyurl.com/krhvh

Keep finding really strange stuff. Now this one is a buy now for 1 cent. But 11 dollars shipping and insurance.  (From China)

http://tinyurl.com/jxcxh

The Lady brought home a page full off these (around 30 different ones) from some "everthing's a €uro" type store here. My son had seen them and got all excited that he found something great for his daddy. I did not have the heart to tell him right away that they are cast fakes. We will sit down with them one day though, and I will use them as instuction materials about fakes.

Then maybe I will let my son have them and then he can bury them and play with his friends like it is some hidden treasure. Hopefully he will forget where he buries them. :ninja:

This happens often on ebay when new members want to get alot of positive feedback. I have even seen auctions listed where the seller will pay the 39 cent postage too.

That's actually a good idea for someone looking to build a positive feedback rating. I'd never thought of it.

for sale, nit wits that buy washed&polished coins

http://tinyurl.com/nbtpo

That's funny. Some people have this outstandingly creative sense of humor. Wish I had some of that. :ninja:

Archived