CoinPeople.com

Charles II - 1668

colecionadordemoedas

Greetings!

I bought this coin, however I am unaware of it total! Somebody can help me? In which country it was emitted? Which the nominal value of it? Which the commercial value for it? This coin is rare?In which informations book meeting on it!

Greattings!

carolus7lg.jpg

ps.: it forgives my English!

It is a Charles II of Scotland Merk from 1668. A merk was a coin worth 13 shillings four pence in Scottish tenor or roughly the equivalent of an English Shilling. Your piece is a bit nicer than these coins are usually found, they saw a long and rough circulation and a lot of them ended up getting melted down into the new sterling coinage in Scotland ca. 1707-1709.

I have some earlier versions, from James VI on my webpage linked below.

Guest Aidan Work

I have got one of these dated 1670.The denomination is located in the centre of the coin.The 'XIII' is for the 13 Shillings,& the '4' below it is for the 4 Pence.It is correctly written as '13/4' in short notation.

Aidan.

Guest Aidan Work

I bought mine off a dealer over here in New Zealand for NZ$90,which was a real bargain.The dealer later told me that he sold it to me a bit too cheaply,but he couldn't do anything about that.

Aidan.

Archived