CoinPeople.com

Clashed Die 1952 Lincoln

drwstr123

I could be wrong here, but the way that the cross curves to the stem of the "T", it does not appear to be similar to the more perpendicular "T" that I see on the Wheat.

In addition, from what I can tell from the image, the stem does not appear to be centered in relation to the cross. To me that "imprint" seems to have no relation to a wheat cent.

I could be wrong here, but the way that the cross curves to the stem of the "T", it does not appear to be similar to the more perpendicular "T" that I see on the Wheat.

In addition, from what I can tell from the image, the stem does not appear to be centered in relation to the cross. To me that "imprint" seems to have no relation to a wheat cent.

IMGP2420_edited.jpg

IMGP2419_edited.jpg

IMGP2418_edited.jpg

Hi, This coin is listed as "1952-dropped letter?" at the PCGS site. I've had the good fortune of Mr. Charles Daughtrey (of Copper Coins) replying to the thread. He gives an excellent explaination and computer overlay pic that is informative and a great read. sincerely, Mike

Hi,

This is a clashed die error and that is completely different than a "dropped letter" error. You can read about an example of a "dropped letter" at:

http://varietynickels.com/articles/droppedletter.htm

It is a different reason for the incuse letter than a clashed die which occurs when details are transfered from one die to another when they contact each other, under pressure, during a strike with no planchet between them.

In the interest of accuracy and seeing that correct information is presented, This coin is a clashed die , a nice one, but it is not a dropped letter error. Anyone calling this a "dropped letter" unfortunately didn't have all the information or does not understand the diagnostics that differentiate the "dropped letter" from the clashed die.

Clashed dies are relatively common, while the "dropped letter" error is scarce. Again, the coin shown here is not in any way a dropped letter error.

Have Fun,

Bill

Have Fun,

Bill

Thanks to all for the input. Please listen, 'cause this is important. Over at the PCGS site, Mr. Daughtrey gave me his permission to reproduce his pic over here. Trouble is, my little pea brain doesn't know how. If there is someone who can and would I will appreciate it, and maybe others would enjoy looking too. Thanks, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

and as I stated, that overlay is exactly what is used to determine the positioning of lettering on a clashed die error. The coin at the beginning of the thread is a clashed die error and not a dropped letter. A dropped letter could occur just about anywhere on a coin. meaning that the incuse letter would likely NOT line up in the exact position that it would be found on a clashed die.

It's really simple to figure out. Hey, Stujoe, thanks for that great pic from coppercoins.com

Bill

Archived