CoinPeople.com

FI €2 UN Membership 1955-2005

tabbs

In October the Finnish Mint will issue a €2 commemorative coin dedicated to Finland's 50 years of UN membership. The coin shows a dove of peace in front of a jigsaw puzzle:

http://www.mint.fi/en/press-releases/1251/

A larger (200K) image of the design is here:

http://www.mint.fi/en/documents/1077/Pala_palalta.jpg

The actual coin will of course be bimetallic like the other €2 pieces. Nice design again - what I find a little odd is that the country name is in English/Swedish only ...

Christian

The coin shows a dove of peace in front of a jigsaw puzzle..

Cute idea! Very evocative. I am surprised that no one thought of this before. Once I saw it, I said, "Of course."

... of course 250 years from now when no one knows what a jigsaw puzzle is...

• 2 weeks later...
Sir Sisu, can we place orders yet? :ninja:

Heh heh. I will try , but if it works like it does with the rolls of 1 and 2 cent coins from Finland, you will probably get a better deal ordering from Germany. That is where many of the small dealers here order those coins.

I will try and keep you updated.

but if it works like it does with the rolls of 1 and 2 cent coins from Finland, you will probably get a better deal ordering from Germany

To make up for that, I sometimes order such coins from a dealer in the Netherlands ... :ninja:

Christian

• 1 month later...
It seems that Finn collectors need to start looking to the official dealers that Rahapaja deals with in Germany for info. No press releases here yet about any release date.

Please note that the rumors I spread here should not be considered official information :ninja: But two websites dedicated to those €2 commems say it will be issued between 15 and 24 Oct ... We'll see.

Christian

Please note that the rumors I spread here should not be considered official information ;) But two websites dedicated to those €2 commems say it will be issued between 15 and 24 Oct ... We'll see.

Christian

Oh, I am sure those "rumors" are credible. Rahapaja has a certain number of wholesale dealers in Germany that they coordinate sales with. That is why these are found on the market in Europe while the average collector here must apply for a lottery to buy a coin. :ninja:

Yikes, that seller has a bunch of those rolls ... I bought a 2005 set where that €5 coin sits in the middle. (To crack or not to crack, that is the question :ninja: ) Paid quite a lot for that set, about €30. But since the purchase also supports the national team of handicapped athletes, that was OK by me.

Christian

...  I bought a 2005 set where that €5 coin sits in the middle. (To crack or not to crack, that is the question ;) ) Paid quite a lot for that set, about €30. But since the purchase also supports the national team of handicapped athletes, that was OK by me.

Christian

I bought one also, for the same price. However, mine shall not be cracked as I collect mint sets seperately as well. :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

Their distribution me thinks is by design. Collectors like me, I collect the circs. So they release a small number as circs to put the coin in my category and then most of them are sold retail... <sigh>

But... sense you are standing in line anyways Sir :ninja: If you can get your hands on one for me Ill take care of ya ;)

-Bobby

;) (Sighhhhhhhhh) I do not look forward to waiting in that line. It will be long!!! :ninja: I just hope I will be able to get one.

Or maybe two, hint hint ;) Now that the mintage has been upped to 2 million coins, it may actually be a little easier to get the pieces ...

Christian

Or maybe two, hint hint  ;)  Now that the mintage has been upped to 2 million coins, it may actually be a little easier to get the pieces ...

Christian

Heh heh, maybe. But if it is anything like the 1&2 cent sale, the lines were very long. (A number queue.) And since Helsinki is the only place where the coins can be purchased, you can be sure collectors will come with their extended families to line up so each person can buy one to hand back to the collector as they walk out the door. :ninja:

I hope there is freezing rain that week! It will shorten the lines! ;)

Or maybe two, hint hint  ;)  Now that the mintage has been upped to 2 million coins, it may actually be a little easier to get the pieces ...

Christian

or maybe even 3, hint hint hint :ninja:

From hot and sunny Dominican Republic, I'll assist in the freezing rain dance... ;)