CoinPeople.com

Lithuanian Euros

akdrv

I do like the design, but dare I say it, it is getting old. I have a folder full of Lithuanian coins that all have the same horseman on one side, and the boring denomination on the other. As Dvi said, perhaps if they used this design on only 1 coin (or even just the 3 copper-colored coins) and had different designs for the others, it would be much more appealing.

I do like the design, but dare I say it, it is getting old.  I have a folder full of Lithuanian coins that all have the same horseman on one side, and the boring denomination on the other.  As Dvi said, perhaps if they used this design on only 1 coin (or even just the 3 copper-colored coins) and had different designs for the others, it would be much more appealing.

My thoughts as well. I like variety and innovation.

The Estonian pieces will have only one design as well (a country map ...)

As exciting as a state outline (need a yawning emoticon here)

Didn't people actually vote for it?

Yup. To be fair, Estonia has a more interesting outline than, say, Colorado or Wyoming :ninja: and I would have found it OK if the "map" were to appear on one denomination or maybe two. But all eight??

These were the designs that participated in the vote:

http://www.eestipank.info/pub/en/majandus/...and/_1kava.html

And "hara 2" (Lembit Lohmus) was the winner. Surprising since the current Estonian 5 kr coins, for example, look quite nice. But if that map is what they want ...

Christian

Didn't people actually vote for it? It's unbelievable they they chose such a mediocre design.

People voting for anything is no guarantee of a logical result :ninja:

Too true ... The second "best" design (in terms of votes) was the one with the coat of arms. About as thrilling.

http://www.eestipank.info/pub/en/yldine/pr.../_20041215.html

But maybe most people want(ed) a design that is specifically Estonian. Had the designers and voters known at that time that the new euro and cent coins need to have a country name (abbreviated or not) anyway, maybe the results would have been different ... Who knows. :ninja:

Christian

Archived