CoinPeople.com

New ideas and suggestions for u.s. mint

jeniffer007

The 20th anniversary of the SAE program was in 2005 so whatever they were going to do didn't happen.

2005 was the 20th year of issue, but 2006 will be the 20th anniversary of their first issue in 1986. Slight difference, but the same timeframe that followed the 10th anniversary in 1996.

Well, let me go into more detail here.

The first thing I would order is that 'In God We Trust' be removed from the coinage as being an unconstitutional governmental endorsement of monotheism over non-, poly-, and atheism.

Assuming I survive in office after that first decision... :ninja:

Now. We should rethink the denominations in use. Let's have 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cent, and $1, $2 and $5 coins. The 1, 2 and 5 will be copper-washed zinc, plain edge. The 10, 20 and 50 will be clad and reeded. The $1, $2 and $5 will be Sacagawea gold and an edge alternating reeds and plain. The reeding is to help differentiate denominations, since the 1c, 10c and $1 will be the same size, the 2c, 20c and $2 the same, and the 5c, 50c and $5 the same, simplifying things for the changeover. I mean, jeeze, if you're going to rethink the money, let's rethink it from the ground up.

The bottom denominations will be the Presidential obverses: Washington on the cent, Jefferson on the two cent, and Lincoln on the five cent, mirroring the current paper money. The reverses will primarily be the value, in either Roman or Arabic numerals--I haven't decided which I like better.

The middle denominations will be the government obverses: The Supreme Court building on the 10c, The White House on the 20c, and Congress on the 50c. I'm flexible on the ordering, tho.

The high denominations will be the symbol obverses: a new full-figure standing or walking Liberty on the $1, a seated Justice on the $2, and an eagle in flight on the $5.

Haven't decided on the reverses of the 10c through $5. All denominations will include braille. The completely different types of obverse should further aid in differentiation of the coins by touch. The reverses should be designes with that in mind, also.

Commemoratives will be issued for circulation. If it's worth commemorating, it's worth commemorating for everyone.

That oughta rattle a few cages. :lol:

2005 was the 20th year of issue, but 2006 will be the 20th anniversary of their first issue in 1986.  Slight difference, but the same timeframe that followed the 10th anniversary in 1996.

I went around and around with a collector about that. 20th anniversary does not mean 20th coin!

BTW: I have a MS69 20th anniversary PCGS holdered 2005 SAE :lol:

Wouldn't only higher denom coins need the braille? Most people can tell the difference between a nickel and quarter by feel (yes I know blind people, even kids can do it). It's a great idea seeing as how blind people are no longer confined to houses like they were before. Quite amazing. There's a good number here at the University too. They navigate the campus better then myself :ninja:

The return of liberty to the coinage would be much the same, it'd be a rehash of old ideas

You might be right. Since we are at war with some concept at all times, I think Winged Victory should replace Liberty.

If they relief is strong enough, no braille would be needed regardless of coin size.

True enough, but it'd still be a good idea anyway I think, although how you make it wear-proof, I don't know. But by braille or by relief, either way our money is in desperate need of a redesign. The quote in jtryka's .sig is as applicable today as it was when Teddy Roosevelt said it in 1904.

Archived