CoinPeople.com

New ideas and suggestions for u.s. mint

jeniffer007

yes, i like half dollar as well. but use silver instead of nickel and copper. i would also like the mint will encapsulating some uncirculated american eagle silver dollar for collectors. and as well as encapsulating and casing some mint set. liked the proof set. and coins should be in satin finish.

If I were Mint Director, here's what I would do.

Replace the cent with a 2½ cent coin made with 95% copper.

Produce a $2 bi-metal coin.

Eliminate presidents from all our coins and bring back Liberty, Eagles, wreaths and shields.

Lose the 50¢ piece in its current size (this is why it doesn't circulate) and replace with a 90% silver version. About the size of a nickel but with a hole in the center to reduce the Ag weight and to differentiate the coin.

Call the BEP and tell them to stop printing $1 bills.

Put a stop to the commemorative madness (i.e. commemorate only things that deserve to be commemorated and even then only on a real anniversary, not 175th, 230th, etc.).

Sell bullion coins directly to the public.

When all this was done, take a vacation.

Eliminate presidents from all our coins and bring back Liberty, Eagles, wreaths and shields.

Lose the 50¢ piece in its current size (this is why it doesn't circulate) and replace with a 90% silver version.  About the size of a nickel but with a hole in the center to reduce the Ag weight and to differentiate the coin.

Put a stop to the commemorative madness (i.e. commemorate only things that deserve to be commemorated and even then only on a real anniversary, not 175th, 230th, etc.).

I need to call your Senator Clinton and see if I can get a conservative from NY nominated for this post :ninja: If I had my way you would have the job.

I would like higher reliefs on commems (I'll defer to others on what should or should not be commemorated and when) but if you are commemorating something, shouldn't it look better than a $1 Vegas gaming token?

Have a centennial issue of Saint-Gaudens' eagle and double eagle in 2007 with the full on high relief just like the originals of 1907.

Stop dishonoring the memory of Saint-Gaudens and his double eagle design with the bastardized image used on those stinking bullion slugs. I'd sooner see a modern president series of bullion coins than the flat lifeless image of liberty portrayed on these monstrocities.

Never thought of that before!

Eliminate presidents from all our coins and bring back Liberty, Eagles, wreaths and shields. :ninja:  :cry:  ;)

What about the new dollar commemmorating the 3 month anniversary of Biff and Betty going steady?

I would like higher reliefs on commems.

That is my biggest beef with the modern commemmoratives!!  :lol:

#1. Force the BEP to stop making $1 and $2 Notes

#2. Put 21st century versions of Liberty on all denominations. I would hold a closed competition with proffesional artsists and a suitable commision.

#3. I'd make a circulating Steel Cent in 2009 and then retire the denomination.

#4. I would only commemoratie worthy people and events and only on even anniversaries (50 year chunks for really big things, 100 year chunks for secondary anniversaries. No 235th or 115th)

#5. Make proof sets high relief

the mint should put more store in all big cities. so that collectors as well as general public can go there and shop. also issue some gift card like many other store did. so it can encourage new people to collect coins. limit the quantity of modern commems to two silver dollars and two half dollars. forget the gold and platinum. sell amercan eagle uncirculated directly to member only collectors. sell all denomination of rolls each year at a very much lower prices. like 10% to 15% over face value. omit the shipping charge. make available coins for banks intended for member collectors to change at face value. allow modern commems donation portion to apply to income tax deductible. announce frequently and up to date mintages and productions of all product. change the sizes of dollar and half dollar. continue issuing dollar bill for collectors only. just like the two dollar bill. change the design of dime and penny. producing mint set inn satin finish only with case and capsule. like the proof set. re-design the proof and silver proof set case that can be open and with display stand. like that of 70's. and lastly, hire me.

Lose the 50¢ piece in its current size (this is why it doesn't circulate) and replace with a 90% silver version.  About the size of a nickel but with a hole in the center to reduce the Ag weight and to differentiate the coin.

Some pretty good ideas there, especially concerning design features (Liberty, wreaths, etc.) but bimetals? Bleagh :ninja: Those are just gross, IMO.

I think it would be neat to have the denominations put in Roman numerals on the reverse (like the old 3 cents). The general theme for the lower denoms could have the numerals placed on large shields or within wreaths, whereas the larger denoms could have the numbers being enveloped by an eagle (think roughly oversized Barber eagle with the numeral in place of the shield).

Bring back Liberty on the coinage.

Don't put out different finishes. Think they are talking about that for the 20th Anniversary of the SAE program (CoinWorld mentioned it).

The 20th anniversary of the SAE program was in 2005 so whatever they were going to do didn't happen.

I wouldn't mind liberty if and only if they made new designs of it not reuse old ones.

And you just know they're gonna reuse old ones. I think the mint design team really has no imagination, you've only got to look at half of the State Quarters to see that... "hmm how about a state outline?", "okay you don't like that idea, lets package it differently, how about an outline of the state?"

How many State Quarters use state outlines now? Could they really come up with nothing better?

The return of liberty to the coinage would be much the same, it'd be a rehash of old ideas, why?

1) Because they really can't think of anything better

2) They can market rehashes to collectors of course (afterall Merc dimes are very popular), lets re-issue Merc dimes the collectors will crawl all over them and we'll be $$$ in.

Yep i can see it happening. It's alot easier to plug something that's already been done than it is to come up with something new and original. Plus they seem to have this idea that the American public don't like change of any kind (are they right? I dunno), but looking at all the failed attempts to put in a $ coin based on the fact that people stick with the bills because they know them suggests it to be the case. But what's wrong with sticking with what you know?

I wouldn't mind liberty if and only if they made new designs of it not reuse old ones.

That's what I meant. Redesign Liberty into a modern age image. The Walking Liberty design has been done to death, same with our gold bullion design. Something new and fresh.

Archived