CoinPeople.com

Why do I keep wasting my money on Ebay????

kryptonitecomics

JFK looks like Cheney took a pockshot with the 28 guage at his face

You never heard of a cleft chin???

LOL :ninja:

bY the way I was joking about the Ebay $40 bucks down the drain...it's hard to find Kennedy halves with nice toning and they usually bring over $100 bucks so it was a good deal. Also keep in mind that the image is like 10 times what the coin would look like in hand so while a 65 is questionable......I think it's still a 64 all day long.

Actually $100 is conservative for a coin with the right color........you may not agree with the premiums being payed for toned coins but people will pay for originality and pay even more for originality with eye appeal.

Stack up a hundred of your favorite coins in PCGS holder....now throw in one with some nice rainbow toning and see which coin get's picked up first?

Bottom line is that unless you are independently wealthy.....it's going to be tough to set your collection apart from everyone elses but buying attractively toned coins allows a collector to own truly unique examples that all look one of a kind. :ninja:

It doesn't make you weird......if we all liked the same things then it would be one boring collecting world.

I think the longer you collect coins and the more you focus on Pre-1900 coinage.....the more folks begin to appreciate toning. Toning denotes originality much in the same way that a nice patina developes on old furniture and brone statues. Remove the patina and or toning and you deminish an items value.

For those that love blast white coins from prior to 1900.....please do some research on the process of dipping coins becuase usually that's what happened to these coins. It's not natural for a coin to remain blast white several hundred years after it was minted......silver reacts quickly with the environment and it was and still is very common practice to dip coins to remove toning.

So if you like white coins.....great enjoy...nothing wrong with that :ninja:

It doesn't make you weird......if we all liked the same things then it would be one boring collecting world.

If we all liked the same things, then that segment of the coin world would be priced out of sight! :ninja:

...so while a 65 is questionable......I think it's still a 64 all day long.

Interesting. What is a 65 supposed to look like? While the fields are clean, I felt that Kennedy and he eagle had both substained enoungh hits to make it a marginal 63.

I think in hand you might see it differently. You aren't going to be able to see every mark on the coin in hand that is visable in my super sized image. So if I am a grader in hand....I personally feel it's a 64 coin and no higher. I think that's the biggest problem with folks trying to grade from oversized scans........everything lokks huge :ninja:

Coin appears to have been exposed to some type of very corrosive gaseous or otherwise aerosolyzed contaminant which may ultimately result in overall damage to the patina.

Contrast the BU looking coin in this auction image Auction Link to the image of the coin that was received.

Ah well the seller now has two negatives

Mexico20Pesos.jpg

Looks like a milk jug pic.  Milk jug pics always hide problems like that.

What's a milk jug pic?

Archived