CoinPeople.com

It's all in the lightbulbs...

Tiffibunny

For ilustrative purposes (and so I remember too in case I forget!), here is the set up I am using with my older Fuji camera playing the role of the Nikon 4300 I actually use.

The camera is in ful auto mode with macro and automatic timer.

The lights are long life, 'corkscrew' fluoroescents like Tiff's although a different brand (I haven't found her brand yet). I vary their placement depending upon the lighing I need.

The coin is sitting on the top from a square plastic coin roll to get it off the background so the camera better knows what to focus on (the coin only).

That sits on a pure white sheet of paper so the camera better understands what color white is when it adjusts for white balance.

And I set it all on the block of wood or not depending upon lighting requirements, reflections, size of the coin, etc.

The stuff taped to the mini-tripod is 3 rolls of cents to give the stand stability so it doesn't tip over. :ninja:

How do you all have two sets of cameras to take pictures of you picture set-up?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Stujoe
How do you all have two sets of cameras to take pictures of you picture set-up?

The one on the stand is an old one that used to be my wife's that I gave her when I got a new one. Then I took it to the desert and it never seemed to work real good after that. It is currently my youngest kids' camera. I bought my wife a new one. And I bought my oldest son a camera for Christmas

So, we actually have 4 (well, 3 1/2) digital cameras in the house but none of them are very expensive. :ninja:

BTW: Putting my new photo tools together for a  new grading challenge...

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=7786

I thought that I recongnized your new photo technique. Good pics.

Guest Stujoe
Stujoe, Your set up just helped mine. At least the lifting the coin off the background. It made an noticable difference. I still need to drop by and get the other bulbs.

We can both thank jlueke for that one! :ninja: I swear it increased my sharpness fact by a big multiple.

We can both thank jlueke for that one! :ninja: I swear it increased my sharpness fact by a big multiple.

Man, nice site you have. Wish I would have seen it earlier. It answered a lot of the questions I had. It's bookmarked now.

Guest Stujoe

Thanks, Mark. And, this thread has been so great! I am having lots of fun with this new picture taking stuff and I haven't even moved into taking pics of the coins in my collection yet. :ninja: I am still mostly just grabbing stuff from the 'extra stuff' box I have near my desk!

The tips I learned are going to come in so handy for me.

Walker (Big Pic)

http://www.stujoe.com/1/bigwalker.jpg

I gotta find me similar bulbs as the ones you're using now. Problem is, we're having 230 Volt and not 110 so I can't use the ones you're all having.

Meanwhile, I'll try the other techniques mentioned here too, like the elevated coin etc...

I've tried more experimenting with the light, using one light, two lights and elevating the coin. The results were mixed to say the least,

This picture came out ok, but a little dark for my taste.

It was photographed with one light, in a holder flat on a white paper.

909269.jpg

With all the talk about the ASE pocket pieces, I thought I'd photograph mine.

I elevated the coin and used two lights. Both bulbs the same brand and type as the bunny's.

I like the detail of these pictures, but the color seemes all off.

gallery_13_58_94781.jpg

Compare the same coin photographed in the summer using only natural sunlight.

It's flat on a bed sheet.

gallery_13_58_55742.jpg

I also took some proof pictures but those came out just horrible.

I guess I just have to keep working this out to find out what works best for me.

Guest Stujoe

The first picture looks like there just isn't enough light so it is hard to judge for sure. But it looks sharp and clear. The second one, other than the yellow, looks very sharp and clear to me. The third one's color is right, of course, since it is sunlight, but it kind of shows the problem I think of with sunlight...you don't have much control over it..placement, etc, to make the coin come more alive.

I use different bulbs than Tiff and mine cast a yellower light but my camera seems to adjust for it. Maybe it is a difference in how cameras react? If your camera has different white balance settings, you may be able to compensate for the color shift. Or maybe using reveal bulbs?

I would be quite happy with that middle pic if I was doing it, if I could get the colors right. You may be at the tweaking stage.

I have to agree with Stujoe on this. If you're using the same light bulbs and getting a markedly yellow effect, there is most likely a difference in the settings on your camera. Most digital cameras have color compensation settings - white balance.

It is also possible that overall lighting in your photo area is really coming from something other than the lightbulbs in the lamp. If they are overpowered by overhead or florescent lighting in the room it will color shift the object. That's why professional photo studios were always darkened.

It is also possible that overall lighting in your photo area is really coming from something other than the lightbulbs in the lamp. If they are overpowered by overhead or florescent lighting in the room it will color shift the object. That's why professional photo studios were always darkened.

That would make sense to me. Being that I think of it I'm in a dark basement and don't have any overhead light.

I gotta find me similar bulbs as the ones you're using now. Problem is, we're having 230 Volt and not 110 so I can't use the ones you're all having.

Meanwhile, I'll try the other techniques mentioned here too, like the elevated coin etc...

I ordered three fullspectrum lights on this webaddres

I use them to keep my plants healthy in winter and they seem to

like them

I used to have niodimium spots from General Electric at 75 watt apiece

lots of electricity and they burn out in one winter and they cost plenty

like 15 euro apiece I seem to remember

http://www.prodana.de/assets/s2dmain.html?...ktrumsparbirne/

Archived