CoinPeople.com

It's all in the lightbulbs...

Tiffibunny

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Stujoe

Just tell Patrick you sent me one of the covers! :ninja:

I do have a serious question for ya. About how far away from the coin do you usually have the light? And how far from the camera lens do you usually have the coin? Approximately.

Approximately??? Oh boy.

Ok you're going to have to determine the light factor by these posted earlier in this thread...

o9okjs.jpg

o9omdz.jpg

Where the SBA is, is generally my placement of the coin. I generally stand right up against that mini fridge there and take the pics from and this will not be approximate, but about 6 - 9 inches above it, however I have zoom engaged about 4/5ths of the way. For my pics I think it's the zoom that's critical. I've tried it with different zoom settings and it doesn't work the same way. I have to always have it nearly all zoomed but not totally or it doesn't focus.

Guest Stujoe

Cool. That is actually about my placement above the coin too and I zoom in on the smaller stuff. I take it you don't have a lot of ambient light in the area. It looks as though you are getting about 100% from your gooseneck?

I have a huge set of windows right next to my set up so I am going to see tonight if my pictures change when that light is all gone.

I think this combo of tricks might work out pretty well for me...

9.jpg

That is probably the sharpest focused small pic I have ever created.

Sweet :ninja:

Nice obverse, I love the way the luster swirls match the flow of the design.

Guest Stujoe

For me, that satiny finish on the SAE's is kind of tough to work with as far as lighting goes. It never seems to want to stay in a nice defined cartwheel that moves perfectly through the coin like a Morgan or something like that. :ninja:

Guest Stujoe

For ilustrative purposes (and so I remember too in case I forget!), here is the set up I am using with my older Fuji camera playing the role of the Nikon 4300 I actually use.

setup1.jpg

setup2.jpg

The camera is in ful auto mode with macro and automatic timer.

The lights are long life, 'corkscrew' fluoroescents like Tiff's although a different brand (I haven't found her brand yet). I vary their placement depending upon the lighing I need.

The coin is sitting on the top from a square plastic coin roll to get it off the background so the camera better knows what to focus on (the coin only).

That sits on a pure white sheet of paper so the camera better understands what color white is when it adjusts for white balance.

And I set it all on the block of wood or not depending upon lighting requirements, reflections, size of the coin, etc.

The stuff taped to the mini-tripod is 3 rolls of cents to give the stand stability so it doesn't tip over. :ninja:

Guest Stujoe

At least yours are in the basement. Mine are next to my computer desk. :ninja: I guess it is a good sign. My wife doesn't mess with any of my coin stuff. I don't need her going over there and windexing all my coins. :lol:

As for the un-dusty parts of my setup...

I also tried to write up a little article about what I have learned and applied in this little CoinPeople session (for my future reference if nothing else):

http://www.stujoe.com/content/view/47/45/

Just to throw 2 cents in. I had a couple "ge reveal" bulbs and some flourescent. Just to try them out. I tried both reveal, one reveal, and one flourscent. No real difference in a standard. Maybe a little bit whiter back ground, but not much.

Guest Stujoe

For me, I like the way the corkscrew flourescents 'throw' the light. They have the same effective light output as the regular bulbs I was using but they don't give me the white out or hot spots on my photos like the incandescent. It seems like the light is 'spread out' more and gives better illumination.

I don't know what it is about these ones I bought but I've had other corkscrew types and they didn't do what these do.  I don't really know what the difference is.

So far all you know you accidentally hit a button your camera and the lights have nothing to do with it :ninja:

Archived