CoinPeople.com

It's all in the lightbulbs...

Tiffibunny

I'm more of a no fuss no muss photographer.  No toying with settings every time, no futzing with equiptment, no playing with photoshop.  This is the best I've come to just point and shoot and upload.  I like to get quick good pics without wasting my time.  :ninja:

Hence the beauty of the 5000K light source. Almost as good as the Beatles, but not quite. (I just finished the Bob Spitz biography. I recommend the read if you have a couple of months.)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it does a great job on mint-red copper! :ninja:

Good catch Tiff !! I just changed out my desk lamp with one that my wife picked up a few weeks ago,, haven't tried it yet but heck, it says that it lasts for 7 YEARS, save $44 (either annually or over the life of the bulb). Pretty sure she got it at Wmart,, tis a sylvania soft white 20w (hope it works as well as Tiffs), cost ~$7 per bulb.

Good news - They save energy and represent the fall the protected/force fed 1930's technology that we've been using. Love that good ol' boy technology suppression.

Bad news - I'm pretty sure floursent bulbs contain significant amounts of mercury which will eventually wind up in the dumps and after that our drinking water... I don't think incandescent bulbs contain any or as much mercury.

Just like old smoke detectors, batteries, etc.... and we wonder why intestinal cancers are on the rise,,,, I'm looking into investing in companies that mfg stethosnaky things that go up places better left undisclosed right now,, bake in the aging population of the US,, growing merc in the local water tank and,,,, viola... guessing they'll do ok in the next 10-20 years.

Any Chemists in the group?,,, Q. - do home filtration systems remove merc? reverse osmosis?

The voltage'll get you every time, we're on 240v so they'd go with even more of a bang if you put them in over here!

Actually the EU countries have neither 220V nor 240V. :ninja: Many people still say that out of a habit, but we have had 230V for years ...

Christian

And it doesn't disappoint with the toning either.

Before:

899078.jpg

After:

908939.jpg

That is exactly what the toning looks like. I did still have to angle it a tiny bit to get it all to come out, but it worked.

I have the gold tint problem also. I was actualy going to post asking what light to use! I will go pick up some of these to use. Too perfect Tiff. I want to get a light with a flexable base so I can possition it where I want. Any advice on possitioning of the light.

Thanks for the great info Tiff!

-Bobby

Here's the way mine works. Quite uh simple. :ninja:

o9okjs.jpg

o9omdz.jpg

SBA is where I've been taking pics from. But... I will probably experiment more this is still new to me. :lol:

Maybe I should have classes. Tiffibunny's Quick and Simple Coin Photos for the Lazy and Impatient. :ninja:

Seriously though, if it's something that's really tricky as far as having blur, I stand close to the edge of my mini fridge there and just rest the camera against my body. No need for a tripod it's stable. I've been doing regular photography since I was 11, this is easy stuff.

A tripod means equipment you have to move and adjust. Noooo way. Too much work for me.

Maybe I should have classes.  Tiffibunny's Quick and Simple Coin Photos for the Lazy and Impatient.  :lol:

A tripod means equipment you have to move and adjust.  Noooo way.  Too much work for me.

I need a tripod and the 2 second countdown to get a steady picture!!

Too much caffine in my diet :ninja:

Actually the EU countries have neither 220V nor 240V. :ninja:  Many people still say that out of a habit, but we have had 230V for years ...

Christian

Yeah i am aware of the 230V as the 'new' standard, however when the electrician was around testing ours his equipment showed 250v more often than not. Why that should be who knows, be we are prone to power surges pretty frequently, the whole neighbourhood is.

when the electrician was around testing ours his equipment showed 250v more often than not

Uh, sounds a little scary ... Well, this "230V" actually means "230 +/- some tolerance", but I don't know exactly how big that fudge factor is.

As for those lamps that Tiff uses, yes, they sure make a difference. In a few cases there is hardly any improvement (and the "tone" of the older bulb looks nicer to me), but some coins just look much better with the energy saver bulb.

Christian

Archived