gxseries

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Some crazy Russian coins this week or for the past few days:

rusoct28ab3.jpg

And that is only three lots.

Guess what was the major lot? It was the lot with the silver Tsar kopeks and the Soviet coins. Total of over 2.5oz silver coins which I didn't expect! :ninja: Ironically, that cost about the same as the 1757 overstriked kopek! ;) BUT! What is more important is what was inside the silver kopeks - some highlights are 1848, 1859, 1871 10k, 1865, 1873, and a toned UNC 1899 20 kopek! ;)

The 1757 overstriked 1 kopek on Swedish coin is on discussion here: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry267915 Fortunately I didn't pay THAT much in what the discussion is on.

There are some stunning UNC Soviet kopeks too which I will have to individually photograph. And lastly, a Moldavian-Wallachia 2para-3kopecks worned year but the edge is pretty nice.

Another interesting coin:

917324.jpg

Double strike ancient Japanese coin? Not something I really know of.

Of course I have no good knowledge but based on the pic, the coin may have been sitting in a pile with other coins of other sizes. Maybe the oxidation of one smaller coin contaminated yours because they were on top of each other in a pile for years.

Know what I mean? I'm really tired.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A shocker lot has just come in.

Firstly it is this 1811 2 kopek coin.

917883.jpg

This coin is getting quite difficult to find in XF, forget UNC. The original brown patina and no verdigris makes this coin quite desirable. Not to forget to mention of the doubling at the reverse which makes it interesting. As well as, the edge is not the typical smooth edge but a reeded edge!!! :ninja:

18112kedgebs8.jpg

Next is a batch of Soviet coins. Yes Soviet coins, but what?

Look carefully:

proofsovietlotyi1.jpg

And look at this image as a comparsion:

15kcomparsionld0.jpg

The coin on the right is a sample from the rest of the coin. I believe they are all PROOF coins! ;) !!!!!!

As well as, I'm still sorting out the lot from this picture:

rusoct28ab3.jpg

So stay tune to the pictures! ;)

A shocker lot has just come in.

Firstly it is this 1811 2 kopek coin.

917883.jpg

This coin is getting quite difficult to find in XF, forget UNC. The original brown patina and no verdigris makes this coin quite desirable. Not to forget to mention of the doubling at the reverse which makes it interesting. As well as, the edge is not the typical smooth edge but a reeded edge!!! ;)

18112kedgebs8.jpg

Good finds, gxseries! :ninja: That 2 kopeiki coin is beautiful. I am seeing "ИМ" instead of "НМ" mintmaster initials ... but I assume that "НМ" is correct, and the lighting in the picture is playing tricks?

Glancing through my Brekke reference for this type, it seems like this edge (listed as edge No. 1) was more usual for coins of this denomination from 1801 up until 1810; afterwards, about half of the varieties for 1810 and 1811 have the plain edge and the others edge No. 1. After that, all have a plain edge. I wonder why the transition was made?

The Soviet era coins are very nice ... probably very difficult to find in such good condition after 30+ years.

Bobh, you can say my photography skills are terrible and my photography shows no justice. But as well as, since the picture size is limited, it unfortunately shows less details. Here is a larger one:

18112kbeq4.jpg

Uzedenikov has marked it as scarce and I don't think I have seen many of such examples around. Actually this is my first to handle such example. Even so, I believe such grades are getting quite difficult to find.

This coin is one of the coins inside the lot,

917888.jpg

UNC!!! Toned but I'm happy. I got more to photograph but I'll show the highlight of what was in there. Believe it or not, for the silver coins, I paid slightly over twice the bullion value! And I believe I have a 1840 10 kopek coin which is probably UNC!!! :ninja: That kind of pays off everything that I paid for!

I forgot to show some more coins that I got that is not in the lot. This is another one of them,

917744.jpg

You can see a fair amount of coins uploaded on omnicoin if you can't wait ;)

A 1854 ruble in XF ish that I got recently from a coin fair here. Nothing unusual except for a seller that had a batch of silver rubles from one collection. He had a XF Peter I ruble as well as a XF+ Anna ruble!!! :ninja: Too bad I don't even have enough money of what the seller is asking but it's still a bargain.

For now,

918190.jpg

Got it much cheaper than what I see on ebay these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I seriously thought it was a joke when I bid on this:

Japan 2003 1000 yen, commemorating the 5th Winter Asian Games in Aomori

918707.jpg

918708.jpg

918709.jpg

Totally shocked when I saw it.

This is the first colorized coin minted in Japan released back in 2003. A mintage of 50,000 and in one full ounce.

Current trends in Yahoo Japan auctions seem to be hitting at least 65,000yen which is around 550USD. :ninja: What is even more shocking is that, I heard in the JNDA 2007 edition, it is catalogued as 95,000yen which is around 800USD!!! Perhaps way too much for a modern silver proof coin ;) Fortunately I just paid a fraction of it! ;)

Edit:

New jpgs of the inside slip: (300k each though)

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8691/20...verfrontox5.jpg

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5038/2003coverbackzd1.jpg

The Japanese coins and packaging are quite interesting. I'd enjoy having some for my collection. I'll check FUN and the OCC Show.

Archived