CoinPeople.com

a bit confused

zemerson

I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me which countries these came from... I believe they are UK coins but being American and not really a world coin collector.... (though I do have a lot of world coins that I found (see my thread "that big box of randomness" in the Coins forum))

anyway,

scan0044.jpg

thanks!

-Zem

Yeah, looks like a shilling and two florins on the far left. The penny at top right looks to be in decent shape; how's the "heads" side? The center one looks like a 50p piece. Not sure what the bottom right one is yet.

I believe they are all Great Britain except for the non-circular ones, they are caribbean...

The seven sided one is British, it's an old fifty pence.

I agree with Kuhli, looks like a George V penny, two florins and a shilling (i think it's a shilling, it could be a sixpence, i can't quite tell, it'll say what it is on the other side though). I dunno what the other non-round one is as that's foreign.

EDIT: also, what do all the little three-letter words from "georgivus v dei gra:britt:omn:rex fid:def:ind:imp:" mean?

They're abbreviated Latin. Loosely: George V, by the grace of God King of All England, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India.

Archived