CoinPeople.com

The Gold Coins of Medieval France

jlueke

The silver coin book has been acquired. So, what is the reference to get for the gold ones? Are there a lot of copper/bronze survivors as well?

The silver coin book has been acquired.  So, what is the reference to get for the gold ones?  Are there a lot of copper/bronze survivors as well?

I don't think there is such an animal, but wouldn't swear to it. Again it depends on what you consider `mediaeval' but after a period of centuries, gold coinage as such was only re-introduced to France by Louis IX (1226 - 1270) circa 1236 / 1240 in the form of the ecu or Denier D'or (aka `d'or a l'ecu').

My thoughts only, but you would probably be best served getting hold of a copy of Ciani's `Les Monnaies Royales Francaises de Hughes Capet a Louis XVI' (Paris 1926). It is quite comprehensive for French Royal coinage covering the period 956 - 1792 ad. It contains most if not all the information you might need at an intermediate level. It contains basic descriptions and line drawings and some raw data concerning mints / mint marks and each King. I've found it invaluable to me (and my first reference point for Royal coinage).....and as importantly for those of us on a budget....it is probably obtainable for circa $20 - $30 mark. I like it a lot, but the mileage of others probably varies. :-)

Ian

Thanks Ian. The period I am most interested in right now are the 6th-10th centuries. Especially Merovingian tremisses and solidi (if they made them). I have some articles so if there is no specific book then I am covered :ninja:

Check out http://www.cgb.fr/indexgb.html and click on the books link. (Its slow coming up right now or I would direct you to the appropriate interior pages.) There is no one book that will cover everything for you, but several that do cover the Merovingian gold. Unfortuantely, its a complex series and I don't think any single book will do the trick like Roberts.

Archived