CoinPeople.com

What the euro notes could have looked like

tabbs

Exactly ten years ago the designs of the euro notes were picked: In 1996 the European Union launched a design competition for the new money. If you are interested in the contributions that did not win, have a look at this file:

http://www.ecb.int/bc/pdf/banknotes/euro_catalogue.pdf

(PDF, about 28 MB!)

That is the catalog which accompanied the Euro Banknote Design Exhibition. In 2003 the European Central Bank published the selected and rejected designs in a show that then toured Europe. The catalog of the exhibition was made available on CD and as a printed book. Now you can download the English language version from the ECB website ... if you have a relatively fast Internet connection. :ninja:

Christian

There are quite a few designs that I find OK or nice. The following list is not a ranking but goes from the first to the last page. (The page numbers are those on the "printed" pages.)

Erik Bruun (abstract-modern) p. 22-23 - except for the two half circles with seven stars each. 2x7 is 14, not 12. :lol:

Reinhold Gerstetter (a-m) p. 28-29 - interesting because they are "vertical" (remind a little of the Swiss notes); the satellite images are a little difficult to recognize, I think.

Inge Madlé (Ages+Styles) p. 58-59 - the mix of horizontal and vertical orientation I do not like much, but apart from that (and the font used for "euro") they look good.

Sandrine Jung (a-m) p. 66-67 - a good example of what our notes should not look like IMO. :ninja:

Maryke Degryse (a-m) p. 76-77 - well, OK. Hey, the €20 note has coins!

Robert Kalina (A+S) p. 82-83 - a pretty good mix: not as overly decorated as some other designs, but not "deterringly" modern.*

Ootje Oxenaar (a-m) p. 86-87 - designs remind of older NLG notes; some denominations (200) look very nice, but others (100) are somewhat odd.

Roger Pfund (A+S) p. 88-89 - very interesting but maybe a little too colorful.

* I think that many people in Euroland would have found the designs by Pierrette Lambert (p. 70-71), for example, too conservative for modern paper money. Designs like those by Jaap Drupsteen (p. 44-45) or Enric Satué Loop (p. 92-95), on the other hand, would have been hard to accept for people who prefer "traditional" notes.

Christian

Thank's for sharing this beauty (I mean for some of the designs...). Of course I would have chosen a different set.

This Euro project was a challenge in many ways. Could you imagine the total amount of hours spent to get only one series ? Looking at the pdf file it seems enormous.

Jacques :ninja:

Archived