CoinPeople.com

More Fun with Perspective

jlueke

Look at the figure inside the flames of the fire altar

Ahuracompare.jpg

The image on the right is what it looks like when you view the coin head on with the god looking left. The image on the left is what you see when you look at the coin from an angle. Coincidence or intentional?

When taking the general `artistry' of the coin into consideration, I would say that not only is it completely unintentional, but that the effect was probably not even noticed by the originators.

Ian

When taking the general `artistry' of the coin  into consideration, I would say that not only is it completely unintentional, but that the effect was probably not even noticed by the originators.

Ian

If this was the only coin that effect occured on I might agree, but this is a common feature of multiple coins.

Maybe a way to detect counterfeits?

???

I know someone who has just bough a really nice EF version of this. Time for a lunch date to check on his coin.

I am feeling like Sgt Shultz here. "I see Nothing! Nothing!" :ninja: I was always terrible at find the differences in those cartoons in the paper too. Or maybe it is just my crappy monitor...

Can some one enlighten me? What is the fire supposed to look like?

I am feeling like Sgt Shultz here. "I see Nothing! Nothing!" :ninja: I was always terrible at find the differences in those cartoons in the paper too. Or maybe it is just my crappy monitor...

Can some one enlighten me? What is the fire supposed to look like?

The left one has the head in the fire looking straight at you, the right one is facing to the left. It's like one of those holographic cards that change as you tilt them.

When taking the general `artistry' of the coin  into consideration, I would say that not only is it completely unintentional, but that the effect was probably not even noticed by the originators. 

I believe that it was intentional. See here:

http://traumwerk.stanford.edu:3455/SeeingThePast/324

We have lost something in coins and how to view them. We have taken the 2D view and not any others. It is likely -- appararently, it should be obvious -- that ancient peoples explored the medium and made the most of it.

Coins are three dimensional objects.

From that essay, see, especially

celtic page 1.jpg

celtic page Two.jpg

I believe that it was intentional. See here:

http://traumwerk.stanford.edu:3455/SeeingThePast/324

We have lost something in coins and how to view them. We have taken the 2D view and not any others. It is likely -- appararently, it should be obvious -- that ancient peoples explored the medium and made the most of it.

Coins are three dimensional objects.

From that essay, see, especially

celtic page 1.jpg

celtic page Two.jpg

I read the article Mike and while some of the visual `evidence' is quite startling (i'm particularly taken by the south arabia coin!!) I remain unconvinced with regards to the Sassanian silver drachms.

Sure, these thin slivers of silver are the canvases for the Sassanian engravers artistic expression. I just struggle to believe that they had the technology to deliberately create a holographic type effect such as the one that can be determined on the image Jorg posted. Are we (those of us that `see' it that is :-) ) seeing what was intended, or are we seeing what WE would like to see.

I think it is both dangerous and erroneous at this stage to attibute skills and technology to the artisans of the time when there is no evidence elsewhere on the coin, let alone in the culture of the time, to support such attribution. Of course closer inspection and observation is now much more incumbent upon us. :-)

I'm far from being close minded on this, but to be honest, i'm not exactly being swept along by the gosh golly wow factor either.....well, maybe a tad..... that south arabia coin.... hmmm.

Ian

I really need tol get a new monitor. I can't even make out a head in the fire! :ninja:

It must be our age, Stujoe, I don't see a face in the fire either. :lol:

And that can't be caused by the monitor, as I have a brand new TFT flat panel monitor with DVI input on a DVI video card.

My freehand using MS Paint is pretty pathetic but hopefully the highlighting i've done will help some of you see what it is we are talking about.

The one on the left outlines a face `facing' the viewer. the one on the left shows a face in profile facing left. (I hope!) :ninja:

Archived