CoinPeople.com

Burk's Best Buys

Burks

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neat! Are we seeing more non-numeric graded general slabs?

I think so. I do a general browse of the world coin section on eBay and there are tons of just general slabs. Mainly shipwreck coins but also a lot of moderns like the one above. Most of the coins like above were only a few dollars cheaper than a slabbed one. So I just skipped drinking 2 Monsters at work to make up for the difference!

I'm rather upset I lost my Bolivia overdate coin. Don't think I ever took a picture for you guys of it. Erica took over MY room with wedding stuff and my coins just got tossed about. Probably fell down the duct work, I'll find it in 20 years!

Thanks to Verizon's crappy service, I lost a bid on an AMAZING collection. 1968-1974 full proof sets in a Capital holder (one holder for all of them). The Kennedy and Washington's were MONSTER toned. One Kennedy was neon blue.

Sale price? $14.38 shipped, like double face value! I wanted to send in the monster toned coins for grades if they were problem free.....

Edit: No idea why it is typing from right to left but....that's why the post looks odd. Working on buying a camera tomorrow. Just a $60 Nikon P&S. It's 16MP so it can't do that bad of a job.

Thanks to Verizon's crappy service, I lost a bid on an AMAZING collection. 1968-1974 full proof sets in a Capital holder (one holder for all of them). The Kennedy and Washington's were MONSTER toned. One Kennedy was neon blue.

Sale price? $14.38 shipped, like double face value! I wanted to send in the monster toned coins for grades if they were problem free.....

Edit: No idea why it is typing from right to left but....that's why the post looks odd. Working on buying a camera tomorrow. Just a $60 Nikon P&S. It's 16MP so it can't do that bad of a job.

Shame to lose that bid. UGH! It would make me furious.

1971 proof set. Everything is gold toned except the Lincoln. Took a gamble it would look better in hand, it's alright. The weird toned spot above his head is kind of distracting. Paid $5.50 shipped, can't complain. Didn't have that set anyways.

Pics coming. Got a new app for my phone to take better pics but my lamp died. Need to buy two more and make a photo box.

It's called Magnifier HD or something. Turns out the Droid DNA does a sub-par job with macro photos. I figured since it (supposedly) has a better camera than the iPhone 5, it would take good macros. Not so much. Someone on another forum takes amazing, almost DSLR quality, pics with his iPhone. I tried to duplicate his setup, failed. Colors are terrible, half the coin is out of focus, etc.

Dad apparently fixed whatever was wrong with his camera. So I'll be getting that back. It's an old Sony F828 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828). I have some cheap screw on macro lenses but I ordered a higher quality piece from Amazon yesterday. Hopefully that gets me where I need to be (along with my DIY cardboard photobox).

Example of a proof Lincoln using the new app. It's "meh" at best. Whatever.

Coin is actually represented fairly well for color. Pic looks like the coin in hand. Just the sharpness/quality is lacking.

IMG_20140316_023457_1_zps6df1110b.jpg

As much as I hate the slab game with CAC, WINGS, etc it's neat to have a piece of collecting "history", Know where we've come from with grading and companies to our current Big 3.

Even flat out told the guy "I'm really just buying this for the slab. It's neat to see where we've come from in grading." He seemed a little shocked and said I was the first he's ever heard do that. I hadn't been in that store in probably 4-5 years. Chatted with him a bit, guy was very nice. Told him my previous bad experiences with the shop, he apologized, and said I was welcomed to always come back and most importantly, BRING CASH.

I have my eyes on an 1818 Large Cent. It's RB but it's a problem coin, labeled "Harshly Cleaned". It's starting to retone but I almost can't pass it up for the price. It's the 1818 die that has a TON of die cracks.

Purchases lately (photos to come as I haven't received all of them yet):

- 1963 Proof set: Scanned photo showed some nice toning on the half and quarter. It's the dime I really wanted.....it's either going to be ugly or a stunner.

- Southern Rhodesia 1951 Threepence PCGS MS63: Nice clean coin. Books $125 in UNC.

- Poland Solidus Shilling 1649: Paid $3. Neat, tiny little coin. Super thin.

- 1979 SBA Type 1 Proof: Pocket piece for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased a new loupe. Generic 20x off eBay. It was only $9, is HEAVY, decent lens, and has LEDs on it. It's cheaper than the black plastic ones that get lost or broken way easily. I was so pleased I ordered the 10x to keep at home. The 20x will stay in the car and travel with me.

Purchased a new loupe. Generic 20x off eBay. It was only $9, is HEAVY, decent lens, and has LEDs on it. It's cheaper than the black plastic ones that get lost or broken way easily. I was so pleased I ordered the 10x to keep at home. The 20x will stay in the car and travel with me.

Good idea to keep one in the car. Never thought of that.

Maybe it's time for Ike to make a comeback - the last silver-dollar sized dollar, a WWII mastermind, and a commemoration of the greatest engineering feat ever.

There have been a number of Ike coins since the dollar but none are all that popular. You can make a nice Ike mini-collection. Don't forget to hold a spot open for the Presidential Dollar - should be out in 2015 if I'm remembering correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

I won an 1875-S Twenty Cent NGC MS65 the other day on eBay for $150 (it's a $4500 coin).

Talk about a r-r-r-r-r-ip!

He contacted me. Told me it was listed in error by their eBay program. Offered me a store credit but understood that if I wanted that Twenty Cent piece, he had to give it to me for $150. It wasn't his, he was selling it for someone else. Couldn't let the guy take a $3k+ hit like that even though I won it fair and square (sort of).

Took him up on his offer. I now have a 1881-S Morgan NGC MS64 coming from him.

Sounds like you've done the right thing. Mistakes do happen. Can't wait to see your new Morgan.