Catalog number : KM# 842

Composition : 0.500 Silver

Diameter : 39 mm

Edge : Plain, with incuse lettering: DECUS ET TUTAMEN * ANNO REGNI XXV *

Obverse : portrait of George V, facing left

Reverse : St. George slaying the dragon

Subject : Silver Jubilee of George V

• 1 year later...

Is there anything known about copies of this coin that were crafted around the time of this coin's issue? I was given a magnetic version that does look as if it has seen some circulation. Did the crown see any circulation at all? I will try to post a picture later during the day. Even though just a copy, if indeed it was made during the 30s, it would be a very interesting piece.

Here is the coin:

926839.jpg

• 2 months later...
Is there anything known about copies of this coin that were crafted around the time of this coin's issue? I was given a magnetic version that does look as if it has seen some circulation. Did the crown see any circulation at all? I will try to post a picture later during the day. Even though just a copy, if indeed it was made during the 30s, it would be a very interesting piece.

Here is the coin:

926839.jpg

I have not heard of any copies though I do believe that the commemorative crown did see some circulation as there were a specimen strike issued in a box Spink 4049 and a Proof strike Spink 4050 along with the regular strike Spink 4048. One other thing of note is that there is a error edge type for both the proof and regular strike but these are very rare and Spink does not say what the error is.

• 11 months later...

I knew I had one of those around here ...

906310.jpg

Here is the coin:

926839.jpg

I am afraid your "magnetic crown" is a modern counterfeit originating from China. A large number of these copies are entering the European market via a German seller on eBay who is selling them as copies "found at a car boot sale".

Robert

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived