CoinPeople.com

Greece

Sir Sisu

I came across these the other day during some organizing and Krause does not give info on them directly under Greece. Any info on these:

Top is a 1957 and the bottom is 1959: 50 lepta. They were both minted in France from what I can tell by the privy marks, but is there a difference with the mint?

50lepta_5457.jpg

The next coin is a 1 drachma. Not only are the mintmarks and such different, so is the text under the bust on the obverse:

1drachmaO_5459.jpg

1drachmaR_5459.jpg

I think you have the pictures of the 50 lepta reversed. The 57 issue should have the wing for the engravers' mark on the right. from 31-58 was a wing, from 58-74 was an owl, from 74- is a fish.

Could the differences in the designers' signature under the bust be the result of new dies being cut with the new engravers' mark??

I just scanned a bunch of Greek coins this week to auction off, and didn't even notice the different privy marks.

I will ask a Greek collector/dealer that I know, and see if he can add any information.

I think you have the pictures of the 50 lepta reversed.  The 57 issue should have the wing for the engravers' mark on the right.  from 31-58 was a wing, from 58-74 was an owl, from 74- is a fish.

You are right, I got them backwards. The top is '59 and the bottom is '57.

Could the differences in the designers' signature under the bust be the result of new dies being cut with the new engravers' mark??

I do not think that is neccessarily the reason as the privy marks are on the reverse. And the change in privy marks happened between 1957 and the 1959 issues, while it seems the signature was changed between the 1954 and 1957 issues.

I will ask a Greek collector/dealer that I know, and see if he can add any information.

Great!

Archived