CoinPeople.com

Copper color

Mark Stilson

Copper sulfate is blue. So it is more likely a sign of being stored in paper or in an industrial atmosphere. Overcleaning copper with acids tends to lead to a pinkish color.

What Jorge said ---

Just an additional point. On the early US coppers the original planchets were quite a mixed bag. The US Mint was not able to secure premade planchets and so most were made at the Mint. In many cases remelted copper was used. The copper may have been from cooking utensils or door/cabinet hardware and such. Because of this the alloy is far from exact. Coloration is all over the place. So is prestrike damage.

On the color I was also worried about possible 2x2 storage problem. It was in an 20 years old 2x2. Took it out water washed and in a new one I just got. Good enough?

(BTW I'm doing that with all my coins.)

Okay, please don't wash with water unless it's distilled water. Regular tap water has chemicals and stuff in it that can lead to damage of the surfaces of coins, especially copper.

If you want to remove biological "gunk" that has built up in the nooks and crannys, soak it in Acetone for a few minutes, rinse in more Acetone (not the stuff you just soaked it in), and leave it alone - it will air dry rapidly. If you must rinse it with distilled water, do it after the Acetone rinse and gently pat it dry or use a hair dryer or something that will dry it rapidly.

What AF said.

Plus+++++++

Many Large Cent and Half Cent collectors keep their coins in cloth sacks in acid free 2x2 envelopes. I'm out of the envelopes but I'll be happy to send you a cotton sack for your large cent. PM your mailing address.

De-ionized water work? It's what we use at work to fill batteries with. Filter and No minerals. I know a lot of the drinking/distilled water may not remove minerals or actualy add for "taste".

Well at least I have not gone very far on them. Been real slow start on the re-organization of my collection.

Art appreciate the offer but does the bag need to be anything other then just 100% white cotton cloth?

I'll drop by the coin shop and pick up some 2x2 envelopes. Might as well start remaking friends with the local coin shops.

Another thing I was wondering the regular mylar ones are a problem?

Also should I be doing that on the other large coppers?

Edit BTW I really appreciate the help on this.

Archived