CoinPeople.com

VA 2006: Benedict XVI Mint Set, €2 Swiss Guard

tabbs

The World Money Fair is almost over, and we now know a little more of what is planned for the next couple of months. :ninja: Here are draft images of the Vatican 2006 set (the first one with Pope Benedict XVI) and of the €2 commemorative coin which will be dedicated to the Swiss Guard established 500 years ago.

vateuronumiskms_854.jpg

http://www.numismatico.de/files/vateuronumiskms_854.jpg

The coin set (draft image); the proof version of this set will include the depicted silver medal.

vat2006sonder_189.jpg

http://www.numismatico.de/files/vat2006sonder_189.jpg

The €2 commem (draft image). Don't know yet when the set and the commem will be issued ...

Christian

Neat coins, but I'd guess they're gonna cost significant body parts to purchase :ninja:

I like the medal and the commem.  How many hundreds of euros do these cost now?

The proof set (which includes the medal) was €125 last year, provided one could get it from the numismatic office. The BU sets (without the medal) will be less expensive of course - the last set with John Paul II was €23, the Sede Vacante set was €30.

As for the 2 euro commem, again, the Vatican will not sell it "raw" but in some special folder/box only. Last year's piece (World Youth Day) was €11 ...

Christian

• 2 months later...

Here are some pictures of the new Vatican circulation ( :lol: ) coins. The sets were officially released about a week ago, but I think that is rather a theoretical date ...

Earlier this week however (on 2 May) people could actually pick the sets up at the UFN (numismatic office) of the Vatican. In previous years there was also an "open" sale, where people who were not registered customers had a chance to buy one, but for obvious reasons the UFN does not do that any more. So on Tuesday collectors could go to the Numismatic Office, present the order form that the UFN had sent out before (with the number of sets one could buy already entered) and a photo ID, and then get their coins.

These are images of the new coins. From left to right: the "copper" pieces, the "brass" pieces, and the bimetallic pieces:

5-cent-benedikt.gif50-cent-benedikt.gif2-euro-benedikt.gif

Well, I am not excited. In my opinion the portrait of Pope Benedict XVI is not very good. Also, the designer "moved" the country name - if you look at the €2 coin for example, all previous issues including the commems had the name on the outer ring. Now it is on the inner part (pill) which IMO makes the design too busy.

Had they left the country name where it used to be, there would have been room for an additional inscription such as BENEDICTVS XVI ... which may have helped receognizing the guy on the coins. Then again, all these pieces will disappear in collections anyway. :ninja:

Christian

I really don't care for the design on the circulating Euros. The vatican could have done much better on these. I also do not like each coin having the same design. For the money they charge they could well afford to vary the designs.

The euro circulation coins from all monarchies, except Spain, are a little monotonous. But the design of the country specific sides is basically up to the issuing country ...

Does the Vatican charge that much? Well, the BU set, if one gets it from the UFN, costs €30 - not really cheap but not awfully expensive either. (The proof set is much more expensive: €140 including a silver medal.) Problem with the Vatican coins is that people who want to have any have to buy them; you won't find "raw" pieces in circulation.

By the way, the "Swiss Guard" is apparently scheduled for September/October.

Christian

• 6 months later...

The official release date for the €2 commem, and the silver (€5, €10) and gold (€20, €50) collector coins, is Thursday 9 November. Registered dealers can then pick their pre-ordered coins up at the UFN if they want to. There will also be a direct sale, for individual customers, on 17 Nov I think. However, you cannot buy coins without bringing your order form.

Here are images (scans from the folder that came with the order form) of the two silver coins:

€5 World Peace Day

http://www.muenzblog.de/bilder/vatikan-5-euro-2006.jpg

€10 Piazza San Pietro (350 years Colonnades)

http://www.muenzblog.de/bilder/vatikan-10-euro-2006.jpg

Keep in mind that none of these pieces will be available at face value. Even the €2 "Swiss Guard" coin will only be available in two versions: in a blister pack (85,000) and as part of a numisletter (15,000).

Christian

Archived