CoinPeople.com

newbie "re-discovers" proof sets

Doogy

My folks sent a small box to my wife and I today, one we weren't expecting. Bear in mind, my folks don't know that i recently started to collect coins. I did however have a few (three or four) proof sets that relatives gave me for birthdays as a kid. Upon opening, my wife and I were surprised to see 1972 and 1977 US mint proof sets, each one for the year of our birth. While not valuable per se, they are incredibly beautiful, the luster on these coins are breathtaking. We were both pleased to say the least.

1972SProofSetWCameoandBox.jpg

1977proofset.jpg

Question: I was inspired to buy one for our daughther that was just born in December. I looked for 2005 proof sets on the 'bay, and was surprised to find many varieties; state quarters, regular sets, etc. Is there a 2005 set that represents the classic proof set, and what should i expect to pay?

Also, I was busy this week and purchased the following ANACS slabbed world gold this coming week, all vintage and roughly a 1/4 of gold. i'm pretty excited! :ninja:

4d_1.jpg

9157.jpg

7602027.jpg

thanks guys, and have a good weekend!

Doogy

Doug- by the way; I got your email this week, and wanted to thank you for the much needed info on collecting Aussie gold coins. I appreciate your time sir!

Nice coins, Doogy! The 2005 proof set sold for $22.95 at the mint - they are no longer available. I saw a couple of sets on ebay selling for a "Buy It Now" price of $29.95. That is for the clad set. The silver is running a bit higher. You can buy the quarter sets separately, but if you want a full set of coins, you want the 11 piece set which will include a set of quarters. See attached picture.

2005.jpg

Nice coins, Doogy!  The 2005 proof set sold for $22.95 at the mint - they are no longer available.  I saw a couple of sets on ebay selling for a "Buy It Now" price of $29.95.  That is for the clad set.  The silver is running a bit higher.  You can buy the quarter sets separately, but if you want a full set of coins, you want the 11 piece set which will include a set of quarters.  See attached picture.

thanks! what is the difference between the 'clad' and 'silver' sets?

Doug

thanks!  what is the difference between the 'clad' and 'silver' sets? 

Doug

In clad sets the dimes, quarters, and halves are made out of the regular cupro-nickel alloy that normal change is made out of. In the silver sets those coins are made out of 90% silver alloy.

Birth year sets are great gifts. I don't normally collect proof sets, but whenever someone in my family or a close friend has a baby, I always put aside a set for them. I figure it will make for an easy birthday present at some time in the future. If I don't complement you on the gold purchases, it's just because I'm jealous.

Archived