CoinPeople.com

silly question about pic numbers

superbeast1098

I am somewhat new to banknote collecting. I have the grading figured out in terms of uncirculated, almost uncirculated and the such. But my question is about pick numbers

When I see a banknote for sale, I always see a pick number. I have searched for info on pick numbers, but I have not been able to find a definite answer as to what it is. Could someone please give me an answer to the question of " What is a pick number, and what is its importance in banknote collecting??????

KFC :ninja:

Thank you for explaining that to me.

Basically, its a way to tell the difference between 2 banknotes that may appear identical, but there are subtle differences, which is in the Standard Catalog of world banknotes.

I hope to learn alot while Im here......

Its not too often you find a site where people respond with good and useful info. The only site I have found like that (besides this one) is a Mercedes Benz website, which is totally unrelated, needless to say.... lol.... :lol:

KFC :ninja:

I think you'll find that the standard catalogs are pretty much indispensable. Not only are they good for identification, but they allow you to see what else is out there and how you might want to shape your collection in the future. Of course, that's a double-edged sword. You can't spend money on something if you didn't know it was out there in the first place. If you don't need the latest info on price and new releases, you can buy a used edition from a couple years ago for a lot less than the new one. There is a 1961-date and pre-1961 edition that you might want to consider. They may have them at your local library too.

Welcome to the site. Just do whatever Tiff says and you'll be fine.

Thats some great advice... I am actually looking for a book to get kind of a preview of what I want. I know Im looking for polymer banknotes now, but I want to see what else may be available....

Dont worry, Im not easily scared.... lol...... :ninja:

Archived