CoinPeople.com

Bug appeared

Mark Stilson

After not getting involved in coins for about 30 years. I've got the bug again. I drug out coins I bought in the 60's and 70's and it took hold. Last couple weeks have been pouring over a lot of material. (here and other sites) A few general questions.

First for the ebayers. I notice the slabbed coins and the companies which grade them. Is it just me or does several of the slabbed coins seem mismarked? I.E. from one company to another?

Along the slabbing lines. I have been thinking about getting some slabbed. Suggestions of who I should go thru? Right now thinking about ANACs.

Is the whitman morgan dollar book any good for looking at varieties or should I look at the top 100 Morgan dollar varieties ? Or other suggestions?

Welcome Mark!

About the slabbing companies, NGC, PCGS and ANACS appear to be 3 that are most trustworthy, with PCGS and NGC have the best resale value.

All others seem to be not as "market friendly" as the big three for obvious reasons.

Can't help you on the VAM's, but I'm sure one of us will.

Glad you are here, and have fun

I do believe that the infection the bug gives you is a lifelong disease. Sure it may go into remission but it'll pop its ugly head up from time to time.

BTW: Welcome!

ANACS is good if you think your coins may have been cleaned. NGC and PCGS won't slab cleaned coins and you'll pretty much waste money. If they haven't been cleaned or messed with, I'd go with NGC over PCGS (personal preference).

Well, feel free to share your collection with us at http://www.omnicoin.com/

:ninja:

I have been meaning to photo the main coins. It may take me awhile but when I get some going, I'll be sure to drop some over there.

One I could use a little help with. I believe it is a 1762 Catherine II russian rouble (If it weren't for the age and minting method it would grade about poor. Not sure what it is considered.)

Just wondering what is acceptable file size for the pics?

Welcome Mark!

About the slabbing companies, NGC, PCGS and ANACS appear to be 3 that are most trustworthy, with PCGS and NGC have the best resale value.

All others seem to be not as "market friendly" as the big three for obvious reasons.

Can't help you on the VAM's, but I'm sure one of us will.

Glad you are here, and have fun

it'll be interesting to see how ANACS popularity grows with their new slab design; i really like, but i'm just one person :ninja:

I dropped 4 in there. Just having problems getting my camera set right and the lighting. (Ended up taking about 30 for the 8 pictures, guess I lucked out on the wheat penny earlier. :ninja: )

http://www.omnicoin.com/?collection=Mark%20Stilson

After not getting involved in coins for about 30 years. I've got the bug again. ... First for the ebayers. I notice the slabbed coins and ... Is the whitman morgan dollar book any good for looking at varieties or should I look at the top 100 Morgan dollar varieties ?

Welcome back! As for having "the bug" as has been said, the "symptoms" might go away, but the "disease" is with you for life.

I caution you against jumping in to eBay -- or Morgan Dollar Varieties -- until you read more.

The "Whitman" book on Morgan Dollars would be The Official Red Book of Morgan Silver Dollars: A Complete History and Price Guide (1st ed.) by Q. David Bowers. Published 2004. (If you do not recognize Dave Bowers's name, then you are still behind the curve of coin collecting.)

The "top 100 book" would be an abridgement of The Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars by Leroy C. Van Allen and A. George Mallis. If you are not willing to buy BOTH books, then you should be prepared to make mistakes -- expensive mistakes.

The thing about "collecting and collectibles" hobbies is that we want to own the material. I would be surprised to learn that in 30 years, you have not collected other things -- if not stamps or meteorites, then perhaps lawn mowers, tennis shoes, or children... :ninja: In other words, collecting is sort of a frame of mind and collectors tend to have lifestyles. (Perhaps that does not apply to you. It need not. It is just a generality. ) The point is that if you start buying things without understanding them, you are going to be at the mercy of people who are willing to sell you things, whether you understand them or not.

I suggest that you will find more reward in truly pursuing your collection than in throwing your money down an electronic rathole, competing at auction for things you do not understand.

There is no shortage of silver dollars in the world -- they were forced on the Mint by acts of Congress not much different than today's Abramoff Scandal. Once you have the books, you can go to coin shops and coin shows and look at Morgan Dollars until you are blue in the face, finding all the varieties that other people looked at and did not see. There is great reward in that.

I cannot recommend strongly enough that you patronize ANA member dealers. They adhere to a code of ethics. Your town may have at least one coin club nearby. You may also find several coin shops. We focus on the things, but, really, it always comes down to people. Coin club members will help you navigate the choppy waters of collecting. Dealers do not really sell coins: they "sell" stories and if you "buy" the story, they "give" you the coin.

One I could use a little help with. I believe it is a 1762 Catherine II russian rouble (If it weren't for the age and minting method it would grade about poor. Not sure what it is considered.)

It's definately a Russian Catherine II ruble, except that I too cannot quite tell what year it could be from the pictures alone. Usually if all of the digits are somewhat visible, I am guessing that the value of such Catherine II ruble is at least around 35USD, but I can be horribly wrong. That as well depends on the mint type, mint master etc, so don't give up too much hope. :ninja:

After not getting involved in coins for about 30 years. I've got the bug again. ... First for the ebayers. I notice the slabbed coins and ... Is the whitman morgan dollar book any good for looking at varieties or should I look at the top 100 Morgan dollar varieties ?

Welcome back! As for having "the bug" as has been said, the "symptoms" might go away, but the "disease" is with you for life.

I caution you against jumping in to eBay -- or Morgan Dollar Varieties -- until you read more.

The "Whitman" book on Morgan Dollars would be The Official Red Book of Morgan Silver Dollars: A Complete History and Price Guide (1st ed.) by Q. David Bowers. Published 2004. (If you do not recognize Dave Bowers's name, then you are still behind the curve of coin collecting.)

The "top 100 book" would be an abridgement of The Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars by Leroy C. Van Allen and A. George Mallis. If you are not willing to buy BOTH books, then you should be prepared to make mistakes -- expensive mistakes.

The thing about "collecting and collectibles" hobbies is that we want to own the material. I would be surprised to learn that in 30 years, you have not collected other things -- if not stamps or meteorites, then perhaps lawn mowers, tennis shoes, or children... :ninja: In other words, collecting is sort of a frame of mind and collectors tend to have lifestyles. (Perhaps that does not apply to you. It need not. It is just a generality. ) The point is that if you start buying things without understanding them, you are going to be at the mercy of people who are willing to sell you things, whether you understand them or not.

I suggest that you will find more reward in truly pursuing your collection than in throwing your money down an electronic rathole, competing at auction for things you do not understand.

There is no shortage of silver dollars in the world -- they were forced on the Mint by acts of Congress not much different than today's Abramoff Scandal. Once you have the books, you can go to coin shops and coin shows and look at Morgan Dollars until you are blue in the face, finding all the varieties that other people looked at and did not see. There is great reward in that.

I cannot recommend strongly enough that you patronize ANA member dealers. They adhere to a code of ethics. Your town may have at least one coin club nearby. You may also find several coin shops. We focus on the things, but, really, it always comes down to people. Coin club members will help you navigate the choppy waters of collecting. Dealers do not really sell coins: they "sell" stories and if you "buy" the story, they "give" you the coin.

Already hit ebay. But for standard stuff like proof sets for the grandkids. Kept it reasonable. With shipping only one turned up 1$ more then coin values price.

I've been reading several pages of feedback before buying anything. One ebay seller was real creative. Would use his own response to a negative feedback as an endorsement on his coins for sale page. Put him on the top of my exclude list in searches.

I will be keep my coin buying mainly where I can actually have them in hand. The other day I stopped by one of the "old" shops I used to go by. Unluckily it has changed hands. Don't know if these folks would just "toss in" an extra coin or something, like he did. About the minimum was a roll of wheats.

Did get one other item. Its a duplicate of what I've already got . I picked up another 1890 cc tailbar dollar he estimated at vg 10 after getting it looks about right. That one came in at 46$ + shipping. I was hoping to stay a little lower though.

It's definately a Russian Catherine II ruble, except that I too cannot quite tell what year it could be from the pictures alone. Usually if all of the digits are somewhat visible, I am guessing that the value of such Catherine II ruble is at least around 35USD, but I can be horribly wrong. That as well depends on the mint type, mint master etc, so don't give up too much hope. :ninja:

I'm more of a collect and don't sell person. Picked it for silver price. At the time $4. Just wanted a "hand" made coin. Didn't they use drop hammers during that time? Looks like a weak strike in the first place. It has laminations in the metal.

I'm more of a collect and don't sell person. Picked it for silver price. At the time $4. Just wanted a "hand" made coin. Didn't they use drop hammers during that time? Looks like a weak strike in the first place. It has laminations in the metal.

Wow 4 dollars? That's definately a good bargain! :lol: Russian coins were still manually struck until the early 1800s, in fact in 1802 if I am right. Most coins before then would have some kind of defects as mint technology was not perfected then.

Most definately an interesting piece :ninja:

Archived