CoinPeople.com

anyone a fan of the Kennedy halves?

Doogy

As a kid, I always got a kick out of getting the Kennedy halves in pocket change, especially when a relative told me that the '64 ones had 90% silver in them. As an adult, I can appreciate the artistic beauty of this coin; from the bust of JFK to the wonderfully symmetric eagle on the reverse, this is one cool coin!

cd_1_b.jpg

f8_0.jpg

Doug

also guys, what does the term 'double die obverse' mean in this proof '64?  Also, the seller states that this error would make this coin scarce, as the Mint tends to be anal about their proof coins leaving the facility; true?

thanks!

Doug

I am a big fan of the Kennedy half. I think it is the best of our circulating US coins.

900350.jpg

As far as the coin you linked to - you can get a whole lot of information on doubled die with some searching. For example, a doubled die is explained Here. But not all doubling is hub doubling - a little about that is Here.

Looks like the coin is in an ANACS slab, which is good for authenticity, in my opinion. But the doubling on a doubled die is not always as obvious as with the famous doubled die 1955 cent.

For example, I have this one.

1966ddkslab24uv.jpg

ddcus1yr.jpg

As you can see the doubling on my coin is very subtle (and looks similar to MDD - which is what I would have thought if it were not in an ANACS slab).

BTW, have you looked into the accented hair Kennedy? An interesting variety (that I do not have yet) - Link Here.

There is also a 1998 Matte finish that is superb, and pricey.

This guy has a really creative way of showing off his Kennedy collection :ninja:Link Here.

I am a big fan of the Kennedy half.  I think it is the best of our circulating US coins.

900350.jpg

As far as the coin you linked to - you can get a whole lot of information on doubled die with some searching.  For example, a doubled die is explained Here. But not all doubling is hub doubling - a little about that is Here.

Looks like the coin is in an ANACS slab, which is good for authenticity, in my opinion.  But the doubling on a doubled die is not always as obvious as with the famous doubled die 1955 cent. 

For example, I have this one.

1966ddkslab24uv.jpg

ddcus1yr.jpg

As you can see the doubling on my coin is very subtle (and looks similar to MDD - which is what I would have thought if it were not in an ANACS slab).

BTW, have you looked into the accented hair Kennedy?  An interesting variety (that I do not have yet) - Link Here.

There is also a 1998 Matte finish that is superb, and pricey.

This guy has a really creative way of showing off his Kennedy collection :ninja:Link Here.

thanks so much for your thoughtful and very informative reply. i learned quite a bit from your post, and from the helpful links. I appreciate the time and input!

Doug

those I remember too.....I was four years old in '76, and my grandfather used to give me the Kennedy Bi-Cen halves he would get in his change; pretty cool!

Doug

We are the same age :ninja:

I love the Kennedys.  I have many of them in proof and mint sets, and I have purchased rolls of the 1964 mints and proofs.  I have not started a Dansco yet, but one of these days  . . . . after I finish some of the other albums!

ROLLS of silver Kennedys? Man, that can't be cheap, but a good investment in silver to be sure! :ninja:

Happy Birthday Doogy! Though I'm sure there's probably another thread about that somewhere.

I like Kennedy halves, or course I like halves period! I do spend them pretty regularly (I'm a Cub fan, so I usually go for the underdog, and this denomination is definitely an underdog!).

I have lots of silver ones I've saved over the years, some purchased, some right out of circulation. I am a couple years older than you guys, so I remember the bicentennial, and my memories were more of the Ike dollars, as those were the biggest coins, especially in 6-year-old hands.

I have a complete set of Kennedys, all from circulation, except for the 1970-D and the later ones after 2001. I don't have too many of the proof, just one's I've found in circulation or in proof sets. The matte finish issue of 1998 is an extremely cool coin, I bought one when they came out, and then forgot about it until I was clearing out my safe deposit box by my parents house and found the set, along with an unc Community Service Dollar. See, when you get as old as me you start forgetting what you even own!

Happy Birthday Doogy!  Though I'm sure there's probably another thread about that somewhere.

I like Kennedy halves, or course I like halves period!  I do spend them pretty regularly (I'm a Cub fan, so I usually go for the underdog, and this denomination is definitely an underdog!).

I have lots of silver ones I've saved over the years, some purchased, some right out of circulation.  I am a couple years older than you guys, so I remember the bicentennial, and my memories were more of the Ike dollars, as those were the biggest coins, especially in 6-year-old hands. 

I have a complete set of Kennedys, all from circulation, except for the 1970-D and the later ones after 2001.  I don't have too many of the proof, just one's I've found in circulation or in proof sets.  The matte finish issue of 1998 is an extremely cool coin, I bought one when they came out, and then forgot about it until I was clearing out my safe deposit box by my parents house and found the set, along with an unc Community Service Dollar.  See, when you get as old as me you start forgetting what you even own!

thanks, i'm trying to wrap up a business meeting and take the rest of the day off; we'll see how that works.

i'll have to check out the matte finish '98, that sounds intriguing! thanks for the input!

Doug

cheers!!  as a matter of fact, i'll be 34 tomorrow!  man i feel old  :ninja:

Happy Birthday. (Give me a break about the old stuff. I've got 21 years on you. I'm still looking forward to retiring before I feel old. Don't give up so soon, you just discovered coins!)

• 2 months later...

Bump an old topic.

Been looking through about $50 worth of halfs (found 6 1976 :ninja:), checking for double dies, cuds, etc. Does anyone have a decent list of errors and such to check for in each year?

I used to search Kennedy half rolls all of the time but haven't in quite some time. Next trip to the bank it's Kennedy half time -- some Jeffersons too.

I used to search Kennedy half rolls all of the time but haven't in quite some time. Next trip to the bank it's Kennedy half time -- some Jeffersons too.

It's quite fun to do. Been finding waaaaay too many 74's though....popular year I guess.

Archived