CoinPeople.com

Nekkid French Jetons

These are a few silver jetons issued by various French `Compagnies D'Asssurances' in the mid 1800's.

I was going to post them in relation to Tiff's `nekkids' in the coin forum but thought they were more appropriate in the exonumia section.

LaPrevoyance1869obv.jpg

LOcean1867obv.jpg

LaGarantie1860obv.jpg

LaGaronne1864obv.jpg

MelusineObv.jpg

• 4 months later...

Keep posting pics of your jetons (and yes, please do) and you'll generate intense competion for purchases. You have a wondeful collection, one that could keep me fasicinated for months, if not years. Have you (are you) researching the stories, reason for production, etc. behind each of those you collect?

Keep posting pics of your jetons (and yes, please do) and you'll generate intense competion for purchases. You have a wondeful collection, one that could keep me fasicinated for months, if not years. Have you (are you) researching the stories, reason for production, etc. behind each of those you collect?

If I am to be honest I collect on the `push me / pull you' basis.

If something relatively modern (1792 - 1880) catches my eye and might have a connection to something or another i'm interested in then I am pushed into doing a bit of fast research to learn its significance and relevance before someone else potentially snaps it up. I don't end up buying everything that catches my eye though (thankfully!).

With regards to the `royal' jetons and those of that era such as merchant guilds, professions, educational establishments / medecine, many are flavoured by historical or social events and yes, I do research each and every one of these wherever possible.

The more research I do the more I am `pulled' into obscurer aspects of the subject which in turn leads me into hunting out specific items. Not so easy at times given that original popuilations might only have been in the hundreds to start with, but sometimes lady luck shines on me. :ninja:

If I am to be honest I collect on the `push me / pull you' basis.

The more research I do the more I am `pulled' into obscurer aspects of the subject which in turn leads me into hunting out specific items. Not so easy at times given that original popuilations might only have been in the hundreds to start with, but sometimes lady luck shines on me.    :ninja:

A collector after my own heart. Its a continual struggle between staying focused on a collecting topic and being drawn astray by an interesting offering or acquisition. A quick google search can rapidly turn into hours of wandering down obscure trails, encountering that unexpected odd bit of information that triggers the aha experience. The next thing I know, I've spent a relaxing and enjoyable afternoon and come away with a whole new appreciation for the odd $2 Ebay purchase, new additions to my library, and another potential topic for collecting.

Thanks for sharing your adventures. I look forward to the coming installments.

A collector after my own heart. Its a continual struggle between staying focused on a collecting topic and being drawn astray by an interesting offering or acquisition. A quick google search can rapidly turn into hours of wandering down obscure trails, encountering that unexpected odd bit of information that triggers the aha experience. The next thing I know, I've spent a relaxing and enjoyable afternoon and come away with a whole new appreciation for the odd $2 Ebay purchase, new additions to my library, and another potential topic for collecting.

Thanks for sharing your adventures. I look forward to the coming installments.

No doubts about it, I can only too readily identify myself from in the above :ninja:

It seems to me that we are definitely walking down very similar pathways. Being pulled along different collecting directions perhaps, but the same dynamics appear to be very much at work.

Of course, I have the additional hadicap of being Scottish. I have to reach for the nitro tablets every time I consider making a purchase over $50 in value.

Ian

Archived