CoinPeople.com

what is a "re-strike" in regards to gold coins?

Doogy

I noticed quite a few "re-strikes" in world gold, notably this beautiful 100 Korona from 1908.

http://twincitygold.com/pics/batche/430.jpg

I have just received a 20 Korona coin of the same kind, minted in 1893. It weighs far less (.1867 oz compared to this 100 Korona of roughly an ounce). The 1908 date on the 100 Korona appears to be from that area, but the description of "re-strike" makes me wonder what that term means. Any help is appreciated!

thanks!

Doug

I noticed quite a few "re-strikes" in world gold, notably this beautiful 100 Korona from 1908. ... I have just received a 20 Korona coin of the same kind, minted in 1893.

The restike coin was made recently. It is a copy of an old design with new dies by the same people who made the original -- or more less. Austria has had several governments, of course -- monarchy, republic, Nazi and Soviet and Allied occupations, new republic -- but through it all, there has always been the Austrian Mint. They make coins in the same style as the old ones, same dates, etc., nearly indistinguishable, but definitely _NOT_ originals.

Other countries do this, too, but Austria is very active in this. They remake the 100 Corona, the 20 Corona and "Hungarian" 20 Korona, the 1 Ducat and 4 Ducat gold coins, usually in frosty proof. People like the old styles. No one is fooled. The government sells gold to the people who distrust government money. It all works out.

Another popular restrike series in SILVER is the "Maria Theresia Thaler" a large dollar sized silver crown popular in East Africa, the Horn, and Arabia. About a dozen different Mints have made them, all pretty much alike, and all dated 1780.

In the Hungarian version the 100 Korona 1908 is the restrike year

( two angels on the reverse )

In the Austrian version the 100 Cor 1915 is the restrike year

( an eagle shield on the reverse )

Once an authentic coin was offered I forgot of which of the two

Krause World Gold Coins 4 th edition was no help

Somebody with a Schöen said the book described the original as slightly different in color and lustre as if that would help if you did not have the two side by side

I noticed quite a few "re-strikes" in world gold, notably this beautiful 100 Korona from 1908. ... I have just received a 20 Korona coin of the same kind, minted in 1893.

The restike coin was made recently. It is a copy of an old design with new dies by the same people who made the original -- or more less. Austria has had several governments, of course -- monarchy, republic, Nazi and Soviet and Allied occupations, new republic -- but through it all, there has always been the Austrian Mint. They make coins in the same style as the old ones, same dates, etc., nearly indistinguishable, but definitely _NOT_ originals.

Other countries do this, too, but Austria is very active in this. They remake the 100 Corona, the 20 Corona and "Hungarian" 20 Korona, the 1 Ducat and 4 Ducat gold coins, usually in frosty proof. People like the old styles. No one is fooled. The government sells gold to the people who distrust government money. It all works out.

Another popular restrike series in SILVER is the "Maria Theresia Thaler" a large dollar sized silver crown popular in East Africa, the Horn, and Arabia. About a dozen different Mints have made them, all pretty much alike, and all dated 1780.

Michael,

As always, I appreciate your timely and very informative reply to my query. I like the idea of the re-strike for beautiful coins, as long as nobody is fooled into thinking they are vintage; a lot of the old designs are truly timeless. thanks again!

Doug

Haven't some dates, notably the 1914 date of the French Mariannes been officially restruck at later dates?  I am under the impression they were.

Since I can get all post 1900 years at goldprice I never looked up this question

Since it is 20 FF gold Latin Union quality ( 5.8 grams netgold) it does not matter to me whether it is an original or a restrike

The french site does not mention restrikes

http://www.cpror.com/index5k.htm

Haven't some dates, notably the 1914 date of the French Mariannes been officially restruck at later dates?  I am under the impression they were.

Yes, all dates 1907 thru 1914 have restrikes. And even after trying for several years now, I have yet been able to find a way to tell the original from the restrike.

Yes, all dates 1907 thru 1914 have restrikes. And even after trying for several years now, I have yet been able to find a way to tell the original from the restrike.

The only operating mint at that time was the Paris mint

If they used the original dies on the original presses with the same composition of planchets I do not think there is any way whatsoever to see the difference

You can hardly carbon date them :ninja:

• 4 months later...

How can I find out what year these restrikes were minted? I sent some 100 Korona from Hungary and Austria dated 1908 and 1915 to ICG to be certified. They gave me restrike numbers for the coins. I asked when they were restruck? They told me they didn't know, but that it was probably only a few years after the origionals were made. He also said, I can look the restrike number out and find out exactly when it was struck. Where do I look this number at? Does anyone know when these restrikes were minted?

Thanks,

Warren

• 1 month later...

The 1908 Austrian 100 corona was not restruck. It is an entirely different design known as The Lady In The Clouds.

The 1908 Hungary 100 corona was restruck, but the restrikes can be identified by the UP found under the shield on the reverse. The originals had KB in the same location.

All examples of the 1915 Austrian 100 corona are restrikes. For this reason there are no identifying marks.

If there is a way to tell in what year any of these restrikes were issued I am not aware of it.

Archived