CoinPeople.com

Another euro error

Hey!

It's me again, I'm sorry if I'm bothering with these posts (I feel like a spammer).

Here I let you this pics to read your opinions. It's a 10eurocents coin without the "LL" of the designer. I leave both pictures, the one with "LL" and mine. I guess it's a filled die but I also think that we only can see clearly this kind of error if the coin is uncirculated. It could be a spoiled coin too!! :ninja:

With "LL"

co10cent501wi.th.jpg

Without "LL"

10cllmuydebil0vo.th.jpg

Regards,

Victor

I suppose that could be a filled die, but I don't even see a trace of the LL and there is no weakness in the surrounding area (the top of Euro looks a bit weak). Unfamiliar with Euro coinage, I actually searched for the existence of a "no engraver initials" variety. Seems lke an interesting find.

BTW, for others as unfamiliar with Euro coinage as I am, I found a nice PDF that is quite detailed - Euro coin descriptions

Hi syzygy,

In fact there are some examples (not in this coin) of common varieties in the engraver initials (the most famous are the 1€ and 10 cents 2002 from Italy with no initials), but the point is that is very difficult to know if it's only a damaged coin.

I can see a very weak "LL"(with no relief) if I move the coin under a powerful light and make the coin shine.

I hope you could explain me when you say there's no weakness in the surrounding area, do you mean it'd have to be like this to say is a filled die? or is just to see if the coin is spoiled?

The pdf you attached is very interesting, I have it (I think it's of the European Central Bank) and is very useful to start learning (and keep on learnig) about euro coins.

Thank you very much!

Regards :ninja:

Victor

I hope you could explain me when you say there's no weakness in the surrounding area, do you mean it'd have to be like this to say is a filled die? or is just to see if the coin is spoiled?

Victor

I just meant that if there were weakness in areas around the missing "LL", then it would be further evidence for some grease on the die. Certainly does not have to be that way though - there could have been some grease or debris only on the LL (ever seen a dropped letter or dropped number error? - very nice!).

Archived